Adobe Downloads - Is it Just Me? RANT

Finally decided to take the plunge and get LR. So I went on the Adobe site, did the transaction, and tried to download the program. I got error message saying I have a version of Internet Explorer earlier than 4.x. Well in fact I have the newest version of 10.x. So I read the troubleshooting notes and it says make sure and download the latest version of Adobe Flash. Ok, done. Same error message. Cookies on, checked, done. No active x filtering. Checked, OK. Etc. etc, etc. After two hours, the have my money, and I still don't have my download.

The thing is, I bet I download some sort of software at least once a week and never have any kind of issues. Might have to go into privacy setting and allow the site if it is somebody I haven't dealt with before.

Adobe seems to have forgotten the cardinal rule of marketing which is to close the deal. Well they did get my money. But I can always cancel the transaction on my card. What is it with these BOZOS that they can't get the basics right?

Ironically, I am probably one of the few people who has never had full version of PS (having always just used PSE) who actually saw the CC version as an opportunity to try out the full PS without dropping $700 on it. Yeah THAT is going to happen. I'm going to put my faith in dealing over the net with a company that can't even conduct basic e-commerce with customers who aren't IT professionals. They can hold their collective breaths and wait for that order... :mad:

Does the LR download use the Akamai client? It is possible that it's your firewall or antivirus.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cant-download-store-purchase.html

Your rant is a bit comical in that Adobe isn't trying to not let you download the purchase or cheat you out of your money....they manage to facilitate millions of downloads but sometimes computers don't do what we'd like them to. I'm not sure how that makes Adobe "BOZOS".

Sean

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. But this is a rant which means that by definition I wasn't seeking a solution. I did a workaround and downloaded the software before I ever put up the thread. I was just peeved that it took two hours to do something so basic.

I call them bozos because such a high profile company who is changing their entire business model to web/cloud based can't even make an easy customer interface like thousands of other web based businesses do every day. I can't even remember the last time I had a problem downloading files from a web site. You'd think it would be a clue for them that they have pages and pages of help instructing you how to modify your computer to allow their download to occur. Duh.... maybe if so many people are having problems downloading our stuff we should spend our time making it work better rather than generating all these instructions on how to modify their system to play nice with ours :confused:

I guess it's true that they are catering to corporate clients with IT departments who can help them make things work. OK, I get it. They don't want my money, I'll go elsewhere.

use chrome or a different browser?
Sound suggestion. I'm less and less satisfied with Internet Explorer with each new iteration, particularly with ecommerce sites. With some sites I need to turm off ActiveX filtering or run in compatibility mode to get the page to function. And forget about the 64-bit version. I've used Internet Explorer forever and wondered why PC users would use anything else. Now I use Chrome more and more. It just works.

I always download trials. The money stays with me until I need to buy. The get the serial number.

they do have a help line.

And get all the old non compliant browsers off your computer.

I will never get another Bill Gates machine again. Mine are gone and I do not miss them one bit.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom