Adobe Photographer Pricing Doubles

Real Name
Dan
The way that I read the article(and others including Adobe's site) the price for the existing plan did not change. They are pushing the new package with the same software plus 1TB storage for twice the price. But the original cloud package is still available for $10/mo.

Real Name
Doug
Looking at Adobe's web site, there are three options listed for "photography":
- $9.99/month for just LR (the newer application, not LR Classic)
- $19.99/month for LR, LR Classic and Photoshop
-$52.99/month for everything
All 3 come with 1TB of cloud storage.

No, old plan is still available This update from the MAC Observer article:

"Sorry for any misinformation. We have no plans to change the standard 20GB photography plan, it's still available here: https://adobe.ly/2Y5WxT3 or via phone at 1-800-585-0774"

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Interesting. When I looked at Adobe's site last night the 20GB storage plan was not available for $10. Today it appears to now be there. I bet Adobe saw the backlash and realized that had to continue to offer the 20GB plan. I don't use Adobe's cloud storage. I despise their royalty free stock photo offering because it devalues photography. Adobe is clearly only interested in making money and not valuing the artist.

Even though they are keeping the $10 plan for now, I may punt on Adobe and go straight Affinity Photo for the little bit of pixel editing I need to do on occasion. Were I doing high end fashion work I would not complain one bit as the income should cover the cost and I would adjust my pricing accordingly.

lol, my image editing odyssey includes Aperture, LR, PS, DXO and C1.....I surely must have a genetic kinship to Monty Python’s Black Knight

Real Name
Mike
The way that I read the article(and others including Adobe's site) the price for the existing plan did not change. They are pushing the new package with the same software plus 1TB storage for twice the price. But the original cloud package is still available for $10/mo.

But when you renew it may very well come with an increase. It's coming sooner or later. I suspect sooner than later.

Real Name
Dan
But when you renew it may very well come with an increase. It's coming sooner or later. I suspect sooner than later.
I'm still using LR6. Adobe was kind enough to do one last update which included the D850 profile so I'm good until I get an unsupported camera body :)

Interesting. When I looked at Adobe's site last night the 20GB storage plan was not available for $10. Today it appears to now be there. I bet Adobe saw the backlash and realized that had to continue to offer the 20GB plan.
I think that's what happened. Apparently, there was tremendous backlash--especially on Twitter. Magically, the $10 plan became visible again on the Adobe website.

Glenn

Real Name
Dan
I think that's what happened. Apparently, there was tremendous backlash--especially on Twitter. Magically, the $10 plan became visible again on the Adobe website.
The original pricing was never removed. It wasn't readily apparent how to get to it on the Adobe site. Whether intentional or otherwise is a question. Hogan wrote about this back on Apr.15.

This same thing occurred when they first came out with the subscription model. It took some convoluted site navigation to access the "perpetual license" version. Since this seems to be a pattern of their site design it looks intentional to me. And if the same pattern is followed the old price will indeed disappear soon.

Real Name
Mike
Just to add to the evaluation of the increase and where Adobe is going, I'm already on LR Creative Cloud.

Cloud allows automatic exchange of pics between my desktop and iPad. I enjoy this feature but only pay for LR today, not PS. I have 1TB of data for £10 a month.

I used to be on desktop versions and wrestled with hard drives, backups, and the slowness of the desktop version.

The Cloud function is a great addition but how married am I to this solution vs. hard drives? Is it any different than the Desktop only version? I'm merely moving some of the functionality to a newly written app (it is much faster than the desktop version) and I get Cloud backups and mobility.

Adding PS to my subscription increases my cost to £20. Or, for £20 I can get 2TB with LR only. I have to admit the value I'm getting out of LR and if I used PS as well. They can't be free or cheap forever. They require a lot of resources to produce and we'll have to pay for that.

I don't mind paying for a subscription but I am slightly concerned what my library will look like in 5-10 years from a size perspective. 5TB raises my monthly cost to £50 a month. 10TB raises it to £100 a month.

Real Name
Dan
Usability of cloud based apps and storage presupposes that one has unlimited bandwidth available. And/or discussions on pricing conveniently ignore the added cost of purchasing said bandwidth. I'm quite content with an ISP plan that is capped at 50GB/mo. In my case bumping up to the next level plan in order to use Adobe CC including cloud storage would cost me $30/mo in addition to the Adobe subscription cost. And for those of us who shoot at locations off the grid relying on cloud storage alone isn't an option anyway. So assuming Adobe does indeed double their subscription price, in my particular case signing up would be a $600/yr commitment. That makes a lot of other options look very attractive.

Real Name
Doug
w/ Dx0 as good as it is Adobe better be careful
AFAIK DxO is a LR substitute. It is not a pixel level editor like Photoshop. I have the Adobe "photography" plan because I need both a raw converter/editor/DAM AND a pixel editor. If Adobe prices me out then I'll have some decisions to make. I ran a 30 day trial of DxO and liked it but not enough to pay extra (if I replaced LR in my workflow with DxO then I would essentially be paying for LR and not using it since I would only need Photoshop).

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Actually, LR is also non-destructive. Some info here.....

I'm sure there is better info on the internet, this is just what I came up after a very quick search.

And this article...
“Unlike Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom is a non-destructive photo editor, meaning that you don’t have to worry about that pesky “save as” button. In fact, Lightroom has no ‘save’ button at all. All of the edits are automatically kept in your Lightroom catalog, which acts as your database of edits and history.”

Latest threads

Top Bottom