1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Adobe's "Enhance Details" new in ACR and Lightroom

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by Mike Buckley, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Enhance Details can take time to run on non-multi-core computers but I think that you will appreciate the difference it makes if you are making large prints of finely detailed images.

2. I wish they’d found some examples that demonstrate this better than those in the article.

3. Problem is Windows 10 version 1809 is required. This version when first rolled out was causing data loss. Microsoft pulled this update but has since resumed the update process. According to my machine I have version 1808 and system update claims I'm current. I did the Adobe updates and when I try and run "enhance details" in LR CC I get an error message saying I need Windows 10 version 1809 or later. I'm reluctant to try and force version 1809 update because I'm paranoid about data loss. Hopefully I can skip 1809 and do the next update when it becomes available.

4. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    You do need recent updates for Windows 10 and to at least High Sierra on a Mac.

Here some sections from some of my test images which may indicate the difference.
    Even though they are only sections, I still had to reduce them to post them here so they can only provide a guide to how this works.

Regular:
    104_AJS_2498_2_regular.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Enhanced:
    104_AJS_2498-Enhanced_2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. Rick, I had the exact same experience after updating ACR.

6. Not seeing much difference on my phone Ann. I'll look more when I'm home on my desktop.

7. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    You really need to test Enhance for yourself (and print it at a large size too!) to see the difference. You are unlikely to see it looking at downsampled 8-bit sRGB JPGs from the Internet —especially on a cell Phone!

But there is a difference. Even in these JPGs it is discernible to me on a Retina screen in the cleaner-cut and better-defined scapular feathers.

I only use Enhance when I am intending to make very large prints or am enlarging small sections of an image for printed output (when I use Enhance in conjunction with Preserve Details 2) and it has worked very effectively..

8. Ann, I can see some small improvement in the small white feathers on its back.

9. same here also

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Are you sure you mean 1808? There was no 1808, there was 1803 than 1809.
    1809 was fixed ages ago, there is no reason not to update to it. All my machines are on 1809.

11. You're correct Richard, 1803 it is.

Edit: Now I should say 1803 it was. 1809 is installing as I speak.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  12. How did you get it to load 1809

13. click on "check for updates".

14. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

I had a quick play with ACR 11.2 and the enhance details feature. I was using a NEF I use for tests. I could see almost no change. Reading the documents it sounds as if the main benefit at the moment is with Fuji X-Trans files. No doubt Adobe will work on it and make it more effective in later versions. This is only the first release.

I compared the results with using Topaz A.I. Gigapixel. The technlogy sounds somewhat similar in approach. But the Topaz results are amazing and can be used to enhance detail on any image, including JPGs. Adobe have a way to go to catch up with Topaz.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  15. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Enhance works well with NEFs.

I don't have a Fuji, so can't test for them, but Fuji RAWs have been quite problematic to de-mosaic in the past. so it will be great if Enhance solves those problems

The enhancement is often most noticeable in the rendering of fine textures — especially in yellows and oranges.

16. Finally updated to Windows 10 v1809. Tried enhanced details in ACR 11.2 and I have to agree with you Richard. I see very little effect.

17. I tried it on a couple Z7 NEFs with some fine detail. On an A/B comparison at 100 and 200% I couldn't see any difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.