Adobe's "Enhance Details" new in ACR and Lightroom

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I mentioned before that the technology sounds very similar to that in the new A.I. Topaz product. So I decided to do a test. The starting point is an old NEF file. In each case this shows a 100% crop taken from the right side of the photo.

Test 1. Process in ACR with default settings.
1%20Raw%20NEF%20normal%201.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Test 2. Process in ACR, Enhance Details used and then the DNG had default processing.
1%20Raw%20NEF-Enhanced%201.jpg

Test 3. The amount of sharpening can confuse things, so I applied more sharpening to version 2 above to give it the best chance.
1%20Raw%20NEF-Enhanced%201%20sharp.jpg

Test 4. Process the NEF file in Topaz A.I. Gigapixel specifying 4 times enlargement. Then reduced the image back to the original size. No sharpening used.
1%20Raw%20NEF_output%201.jpg

I can see no significant difference between 1 and 2. The fern at the middle of the bottom may be slightly clearer.
Test 3 looks much better, after the sharpening.
Now look carefully at the stone wall of the house on the right in test 3. It still lacks detail.
Now look at test 4. That same wall has new detail in it.

Within the limitations of my simple tests this appears to show that the Topaz product does a much better job at bringing out additional detail.
I hope that Adobe will continue to develop their A.I. technology. Competition is good.

Last edited:
On my Retina screen, I can see a considerable difference between #1 and #2 — especially in the stonework around the window.

I actually prefer the rendering of the stonework in #2 to the Topaz version. Topaz appears to have added add black luminance noise and what looks like a "Find Edges" filtration effect.

I have never used Topaz but is it used on a RAW or after demosaicing on a processed image?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
On my Retina screen, I can see a considerable difference between #1 and #2 — especially in the stonework around the window.

I actually prefer the rendering of the stonework in #2 to the Topaz version. Topaz appears to have added add black luminance noise and what looks like a "Find Edges" filtration effect.

I have never used Topaz but is it used on a RAW or after demosaicing on a processed image?
It works on RAW files, but can also process JPGs.
This is nothing like the other Topaz products, it runs stand-alone and works fastest with a powerful GPU.
You can read about it here and see examples. Like Adobe's work, it uses machine learning.
A.I. Gigapixel – Topaz Labs

You prefer the softer rendering. I may have overdone the Topaz version, it has made the stonework very detailed. A more moderate addition of detail would have been done by only using 2 times enlargement.

Are you sure you mean 1808? There was no 1808, there was 1803 than 1809.
1809 was fixed ages ago, there is no reason not to update to it. All my machines are on 1809.

This is odd. I have a desktop and a MS Surface Pro 4. I have updated both. Both say they are up to date as of today. The desktop is 1809, the surface is 1803. I've tried to update the surface at least three times today, and it keeps telling me it is up to date.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
This is odd. I have a desktop and a MS Surface Pro 4. I have updated both. Both say they are up to date as of today. The desktop is 1809, the surface is 1803. I've tried to update the surface at least three times today, and it keeps telling me it is up to date.
You can command it to obey. Either click the top button, or if that fails click the bottom one to make media you can boot from:
Download Windows 10

All I get is a black square in the preview and in the Dng, but from the looks of things it doesn't appear that I'm missing much. Maybe this will sort itself out; it wasn't until I got the most recent updates that I could again open a RAW file from LR to PS without opening PS first.

Perhaps expectations are a little too high fir this new feature?

I have not updated yet but early reports indicate that the best we can expect for those images that warrant it is a 30% increase in resolution. Note resolution not necessarily sharpness. Images will still need to be treated correctly in post with appropriate sharpening capture, creative and correctly sharpened for the particular output medium.

What it really appears to offer is a better demosaicing engine with the ability to show improved colour rendition for certain objects and a better chance of minimising (if not eliminating) moire. Of course the proof of the pudding is really in the printing as currently even the highest res monitor screens cannot match that of the inkjet printing process of somewhere between 300 - 720 PPI. From those professionals that I know and whose opinions I respect the response has been somewhat underwhelming.

John, it appears that this feature is fussy about OS and particularly graphics GPU. You may want to search Adobe forums etc to see if your system up to it? Try turning of GPU acceleration and also check you have the latest graphics drivers installed - it may help
Other issues reported by users
Enhance Details broken - All-black preview and final render | Photoshop Family Customer Community
Enhance Details Causes Cut out Squares | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
instead of waiting for Windows to auto install 1809 I asked and got it, now no sound, appears to be a driver issue.
I hate when this happens

instead of waiting for Windows to auto install 1809 I asked and got it, now no sound, appears to be a driver issue.
I hate when this happens

My computer had already downloaded the windows update and was waiting for a time window to install when I checked on it and there were driver updates sitting there already to install. I suspect telling the system to check for new drivers will solve the issue.

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
My computer had already downloaded the windows update and was waiting for a time window to install when I checked on it and there were driver updates sitting there already to install. I suspect telling the system to check for new drivers will solve the issue.
it didn't, neither did forcing a driver reinstall, I eve tried a recovery to before and it hung and failed

Real Name
Randy
Randy are you walking around with a cloud over your head?
this is so typical windows, it rarely happens but when it does it takes a lot of time to fix
in this case I think Bluetooth will be easier than fixing the sound card driver

What it really appears to offer is a better demosaicing engine with the ability to show improved colour rendition for certain objects and a better chance of minimising (if not eliminating) moire.

That is exactly what Enhance Details" is: it is simply an alternative De-mosaicing Engine.
The user still needs to use the other ACR editing tools for brightness, contrast, sharpening etc.. The ACR tools can be used (and tweaked again) on the image both before and again after you have generated the DNG.

I can definitely see the difference between the two methods on photographs taken with my equipment — even on my screen: other people may not SEE it on screen but it is there. Its influence is more apparent in images which contain intricate fine detail and aliased diagonals; and in the way in which it extracts cleaner oranges and yellows (including flesh-tones).

Enhance takes far longer to generate a new editable DNG but may be well worth the extra time when your intended output is a large print.

Once you have saved a finished Master file (psd or tiff), you probably won't need to keep the DNG but will simply save your original RAW (including the metadata xmp file) and the Master.

Enhance works only on very recent versions of the OS; and only on some GPUs.
Adobe has published papers on which ones; and with which drivers.

A quick google takes you directly to:
Enhance Details in raw images

There are zillions of discussions on the Internet about this new tool and some very clear examples have been posted of the difference it can make: especially in the improved rendering and lack of aliasing when de-mosaicing photographs of woven fabrics and architectural features such as roof-tiles.

There are zillions of discussions on the Internet about this new tool and some very clear examples have been posted of the difference it can make: especially in the improved rendering and lack of aliasing when de-mosaicing photographs of woven fabrics and architectural features such as roof-tiles.
Thank you.

Perhaps expectations are a little too high fir this new feature?

I have not updated yet but early reports indicate that the best we can expect for those images that warrant it is a 30% increase in resolution. Note resolution not necessarily sharpness. Images will still need to be treated correctly in post with appropriate sharpening capture, creative and correctly sharpened for the particular output medium.

What it really appears to offer is a better demosaicing engine with the ability to show improved colour rendition for certain objects and a better chance of minimising (if not eliminating) moire. Of course the proof of the pudding is really in the printing as currently even the highest res monitor screens cannot match that of the inkjet printing process of somewhere between 300 - 720 PPI. From those professionals that I know and whose opinions I respect the response has been somewhat underwhelming.

John, it appears that this feature is fussy about OS and particularly graphics GPU. You may want to search Adobe forums etc to see if your system up to it? Try turning of GPU acceleration and also check you have the latest graphics drivers installed - it may help
Other issues reported by users
Enhance Details broken - All-black preview and final render | Photoshop Family Customer Community
Enhance Details Causes Cut out Squares | Photoshop Family Customer Community
Tony - Thanks for the response. I updated Windows 10 to 1809 with no loss of data or problems with my drivers but since my computer is almost 8 1/2 years old I suspect that my graphics card isn't up to the task. I keep thinking about upgrading to a new computer but so far I've just been too cheap! Fortunately, the new image enhancing feature doesn't sound like it's a big step forward but as they continue to work on the AI capabilities of LR and PS I'm sure I'll have to upgrade my computer in the future if I want to use the new features. Thanks again for the response.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator

It is worth pointing out though that the main benefit is for Fuji cameras with XTrans sensors. Adobe themselves say this. The benefits for Bayer sensors are much less and in many cases people report not being able to see an improvement, so this is currently of less interest to Nikon users.

Latest threads

Top Bottom