Adorama, a small step up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I'd become rather strongly a non Adorama guy the last year. But being a smart shopper, when ready to pull the hammer on my second SB-900 after selling 2 SB-800s, I decided to check them. Well I found it in stock, with free shipping, my choice of grey or USA. I chose USA just because these things are fairly new, in case of issues down the line. I also added a DK-17M with FREE SHIPPING, and I might add a better price than I found one place. I then added a couple of small items without free shipping, but it only added like 80 cents to ship. I got notice of my paypal payment processed, and an email with tracking number for UPS, ordered Sunday, here Wed.

All in all, kudos on a job almost done, but I have no reason to assume it won't be good tomorrow afternoon. We'll assume it went well. If not, I will let you know.

Anyway, good work Adorama. I'll still be nervous of your used, no offense, lol.

D

2. I've had nothing but fast, efficient service from them. Enjoy your stuff when it arrives.

3. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I've ordered from Adorama on several occasions, the last being the purchase of my D300 six weeks ago. I've never had a problem and my items arrived right on time and in great condition.

Let us know how your situation turns out.

4. Never had probs with Adorama but I lean toward B&H> Why exactly I do not know.

5. I've only had problems with them once, and it was a major problem. However, they jumped through hoops, contacted me on Thanksgiving Day (via e-mail) to follow up, and all in all I was quite satisfied with the effort they put into fixing the problem, which they did. I've continued ordering through them w/o any further issues.

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    well, as scheduled, it's on the truck, so should be arrival day.

My issue started with a used lens being sold as demo. They did correct to my satisfaction. But I didn't like how it went. So, for a long time, I steered clear. I will say I think I feel ok ordering new from them.

My trust for used ratings is seriously questioned everywhere except from individuals that I trust. The used as Demo thing, I will bet that won't happen again. I believe they've gotten a wake up call to start doing better in those situations. They aren't stupid after all, and can read what people say easy enough.

Edit:

Everything came in pristine new condition. I had one oversight, but that was my bad, not realizing the DK-17M didn't come with the eye cup, oh well, late night buy button mistake on my part.

So, well done Adorama.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  7. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I have had nothing but good experiences with Admorama. I have bought all of my lighting equipment from the (5 Studio strobes and 2 SB-600's) Plus a few odds and ends. When I did have an issue with one of my studio strobes about 1 1/2 years after purchase they replaced the unit free of charge.

8. HelenOster

HelenOster Guest

Adorama Camera - improved service all round

Really appreciate the positive reviews for Adorama; it's true that we went through a sticky patch, and we deserved the flack. A new structure and greater attention to staff training and supervision has turned us around.

If you ever have a problem with an order from Adorama, you can always contact me directly: [email protected]

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

9. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    I bought a refurbished D300 from them 1.5 weeks ago. It is in like new condition, as stated from Adorama. It had 983 actuations on it when I received it.

The part that I didn't like, but is probably normal, is the 'upsell' from the salesman. "You'll need this, I think you should have that..." and the total jumped up $200. I had to go over the order again with him, and somehow I still got an extra camera bag that I never wanted, for $45. I sent it back.

They gave me in store credit, so I applied that to a Hoya R72 67mm Infrared filter.

I will continue to do business with them, but I will watch them closer.

BTW, I called Adorama because my credit card limit is too small for the order that I placed. Since I couldn't place an order online, the order was C.O.D.

10. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

I've had great success with Adorama. The only issue I have is their shipping policy which requires a signature and will not allow UPS to hold for pickup. You're forced to take time out of work and wait for the shipment or they will send back to Adorama after 3 tries.

11. HelenOster

HelenOster Guest

I was concerned to read your posting detailing your experience, and would firstly like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have been caused.
    While Adorama staff are trained and experienced to be able to identify additional purchasing needs that a customer may have, the charge of 'upselling' is taken very seriously, indeed.

I would appreciate if you could contact me directly with your order number, so that we can check out who took your order, and take appropriate action: [email protected].

Sincerely

Helen Oster

12. HelenOster

HelenOster Guest

Dear Bob

We do realise that it isn't always convenient to wait in for packages, however, we had to introduce this policy (as have many other high end stores) in order to prevent fraud. Prior to this, there were many instances where customers would call up and say they didn't receive the package.......Therefore we now require a signature to show the package was indeed delivered and signed for.

I wish there was another way around this - as all our decent customers are now affected, too.

If there is ever anything specific that I can help you with, please do contact me directly: [email protected]

Helen Oster

13. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Is every vendor on the market going to come to our forums now? That's kind of annoying.

14. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I think they recognize the impact the Nikon Cafe members' opinions could potentially have on the decisions of fellow members and the vendor wants to make sure the problems are addressed and their actions visible to the members of this large and, one of the best photography sites on the web. Bad publicity is not good for their business so I think it is good in a way that they are demonstrating that they are serious about their service and take complaints seriously.

15. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    It's not only at the Nikon Cafe....and it's really getting annoying after a while. I'm not impressed.

16. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I've never had any problems from them.
    Every company has problems at one point or another.

17. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

You can't stop people from joining a public forum though.

18. I kind of like having our voices heard by the folks we send our hard earned cash to. If she was constantly ending her messages with a sales pitch I'd agree with you, but in the messages I've read so far she hasn't. So, I appreciate that they are listening to us.

19. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I disagree. I'd rather see a vendor take our sentiments towards them serious and by posting answers they'll let us know that yes, they do read (and care?) about what we write.
    Besides that, when a vendor is named and everything it's only fair that they get the chance to show their side of the medal as well. Especially when I see Helen's answers constructive answers like "that shouldn't happen. Please contact me so we can investigate" - as opposed to corporate boilerplate that simply denies those things.

Now, if only we'd have a Nikon ambassador over here as well... :smile:

20. This is how I see it.

Commercial Posts/threads: NikonCafe does not allow advertisments for commercial purposes. The NikonCafe strives and will continue to offer a non commercialized forum free from pop ups, banner ads, email spamming, posts by companies or representatives selling products or services. The NikonCafe is operated solely on donations and support from its membership.

Excessively or inappropriately mentioning or plugging of a retail outlet or commercial entity by a member is prohibited.

The NikonCafe membership appreciates enthusiasm and reports of good service and pricing and those reports should not turn into advertisements of retail outlets or be posted, displayed, in a manner or with such frequency that constitutes more than just the casual mention of good service or stock status, deviation from this is considered inappropriate. This maintains the commercial free commitment the cafe has to its members. The NikonCafe does not offer a medium for commercial entities, retail stores, their employees or agents to advertise on the cafe, nor do we authorize members to do so by proxy