Ads and other forms of revenue at the Nikon Cafe

Subscriptions are Ok with me. I'm a subscriber on another forum, and I've donated to others. It's a fairly small price to pay for a years worth of information/entertainment.

You do know that us old folks have problems with change, don't you? ;)

One difficult thing for me that makes this hard to judge is that currently I don't see the level of ads you are talking about, nor the Affiliate Links, which makes it a bit tough to decide which method of "donation" is correct. I really dislike the sites that are all about "click-bait", I don't think you are heading anywhere near that cliff thank goodness just your comment about "fast loading" and not over content indicate that. For many, however, until they can see the level of "annoyance" it will be tough to determine.

Also, in my opinion, having an "I'm a Subscriber!" indication may lead some to a feeling of superiority. One I have MY "Subscriber" badge, shortly I'm sure, it won't matter a whit to me, since, well, I'm already ..... you know.

Oh, on your "subscription" model, what a nice method of levels you have, makes it pretty easy for all. I would comment, however, that on the Lifetime can I will that to my children?????? :ROFLMAO:

LOL, poor Amin has had his hands full with some of us old-timers being cranky about various new changes. Yep, change is unsettling!

One change I'm sure we are ALL happy about is the ability to edit our own posts whenever we need to do so -- last night when I was on here reading a thread in which I'd contributed a few comments, I happened to re-read my own post and noticed that I'd made a typo; so nice to just be able to immediately pop in and fix that!

On the subscriber thing......on another site in which i participate, they, too, have a subscription feature, but instead of having a banner loudly announcing that the person is a subscriber on there they simply change the member title (one can choose to have it just say "contributor", though, too). This is a little more subtle.

Last edited:
Real Name
Amin
on the Lifetime can I will that to my children?????? :ROFLMAO:

Yes, as long as they use the same username and password :D

until they can see the level of "annoyance" it will be tough to determine.

Fair enough! I'm not sure when I will put ads on here. If you care to visit this site, the ads will be the same annoyance level here as they are there.

Also, in my opinion, having an "I'm a Subscriber!" indication

I go back and forth in my mind about whether to have those banners. I think they increase awareness and lead to more subscriptions but at the same time I want to emphasize that subscriptions, while very much appreciated, are not an expectation. I put a setting into preferences in case anyone wants to hide the banners.

Last edited:
One change I'm sure we are ALL happy about is the ability to edit our own posts whenever we need to do so --

I'm with Connie (Clix Pix) about the editing. Especially the older I get the more I sometimes find
when I revisit a post how terrible I've worded or punctuated my post, or completely said something
the wrong way. Editing doesn't guaranty a fix but at least now I have the possibility of attempting
to correct my shortcomings. This lowers my frustration level by a thousand percent... ;)

I do a lot of online shopping...especially at Amazon. I would love to have the affiliates link be in a place that would be easy to find on the homepage of the cafe. I will be happy to use the link to help support the site.

Does that only show up at the top of the right side bar? If so then for those that disable that
it won't be visible. I ask because I don't find that link anywhere and I've disabled that bar.

Thank you, Terri. I went ahead and added a message with our links to the upper right corner of the front page and forum index.

Does that only show up at the top of the right side bar? If so then for those that disable that
it won't be visible. I ask because I don't find that link anywhere and I've disabled that bar.

OK, I just finally realized where this link was. It's the "Shop" link on the top right next to
the other forum links.

Very good... ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom