Adult common loon

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Allan, Aug 10, 2017.

1. The loons at my favorite lake were not successful with chicks this year. HEre are a few of one of the adults I took several weeks ago. (If you like loon chick search back for posts between 7/16-10/16

1. By rock
    i-qj5K2V4-L.

2. Green water from trees by the shore
    i-Vjr4ChB-L.

i-tDHsTLg-L.

4. Breakfast
    i-NTL43nc-L.

2. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Shame no chicks but these are really smart looking birds to photograph ... uphill water in some ;)

3. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Are you shooting from a boat? How are you getting so low?

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Wonderful images as usual! #3 and 4 for me!!! You must have a very large gallery of stunning loon images. Someday I hope to be able to spend some time with these wonderful birds.

5. Allan I always love looking at your loon pictures. Such good detail and light plus your being low really shows. Great images.

6. Loons are such striking birds and you have captured them well.

7. Thanks!

8. See Common Loons for more.

9. They are fun to watch too.

10. Yes, kayak. D500 with Sigma 150-600 sport.

11. Lovely, as always !

12. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for the link. Your website is filled with simply stunning images! In additional to the loons, I enjoyed the other galleries also.

13. Very nicely done Allan.

14. You have some truly remarkable images of an iconic bird. Thanks for sharing.

15. Great set Allan. It is fun to hang out with these birds as they really seem to like their picture taken.

16. I have mentioned - perhaps here - that loons are curious. Most of the time you have to be patient and slowly get closer to birds. Loons are often the opposite. You can get close right away. They stay close. But then they get bored or something, dive, and swim away. When that happens you probably not get very close again on that day.