Adult common loons

The loon is one of my favorite subjects to photograph. The adults are pretty bird, the light adds interesting shades to the head and neck area. The reflections in the water are varied. I get to use my kayak and usually it is very peaceful. What else could I want.
Hope you enjoy them.

1. Beautiful green water from trees on shore
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Water drops from the bill after loon comes up from a dive

3. Floating peacefully - the white is reflection of rocks

4. Alert as it hears a call from its mate

5. This curious loon swims towards me

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
These are simply stunning! So much detail and so sharp! Nicely exposed to show off the beautiful iridescent colors. Thanks for sharing these!

Absolutely stunning! I love how close you could get to them and be on their level. The colors are amazing and they are so sharp.

Carole

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carole - it is fun to get close to loons. If they are bothered, they just dive and you look around to see where they will surface, often after a minute under the water. However, they usually just go about their business as long as you are quiet and move slowly.

Carole - it is fun to get close to loons. If they are bothered, they just dive and you look around to see where they will surface, often after a minute under the water. However, they usually just go about their business as long as you are quiet and move slowly.
I don't think we have loons out here. I have never seen any. They look amazing!

Carole

Thanks! I'll bet there are some in the San Juan Islands. Most of our exotic type birds hang out there :) They know a good thing when they see it!

Carole

We have several families on our lake in northern Wisconsin. They like to wake me up at ~3 AM to remind me to use the bathroom :smile:. These are stunning images Allan. Our lake has a large musky population so sadly many of the young loons never see maturity. The parents circle the shoreline looking in the water and making a sad crying sound. Brings a tear to my eye.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom