1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Adult loon on pond

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Allan, Jul 11, 2018.

1. I was at the pond in my kayak watching this loon. After a while it got curious and started floating closer to me.

1. Portrait
    i-gqfM9zs-L.

2. Sticking leg out probably is to cool off
    i-mScrf78-L.

3. Shaking off water after a dive
    i-LXcnpdP-L.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. The first one----WOW!!!!

3. I like them all Allan. Love the sky in the ripples.

4. Thanks Nick and Rick. Loons are sure pretty if you catch them in good light on a calm pond.

5. Very nicely done Allan.

6. Jeff1

Jeff1

Mar 26, 2017
    Ferndale, WA
    Jeff
    Nice series! Jeff

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Excellent shots, Allan! The blue ripples add nice color to the water. #3 is sweet!

8. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Beautiful Allan, the ripples, color and detail are perfect. Favorite is that portrait shot.

9. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Great shots Allan.
    The first one is really worth for the front page.

Regards
    Klaus

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Love Loons and you have captured this one so well.

11. Super shots........

12. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    All superb - difficult to pick a fave, but probably #3 for the action element.

13. Nice set Allan. I am here in Maine and for the first time since we have been coming up here, the resident loons have a chick.

14. Thanks Krause. I like seeing it there.

15. I think 1 is the best in terms of head angle and interest for a non loon photographer. Three and two show poses that you watch for when you are in the kayak.

16. I love the colors!! The red eye and blue and green water make for such an interesting feast for the eyes.

17. Top notch Allan. Such detail and I love the colors.

18. Thanks Terri and James. The light is very important when shooting adult loons, more so than shooting other birds. On a cloudy days they can look pretty boring.

19. Excellent captures(y)

20. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.