Advantage of Multiple catalogs in LR??

I frequently see folks post that they keep multiple catalogs.

Why? Whats the advantage? Assuming you can't search across multiple catalogs, what am I missing?

To limit the size of the catalog, maintain speed/efficiency. There are also other reasons, like separation of work and personal, I have seen people also use them to separate projects, hobbies, vacations, or that have a vast amount of images.

I have 4/5 catalogs:

Work
-photojournalism (up to 2010 and I've started a new one for 2011)
-sports
-concert

and

Personal

It just seems more natural to me to work this way. Plus it even has the advantage of keeping the number of photos per catalog relatively limited. It doesn't mean that your way of doing is wrong, it just means that my way is right for me. :smile:

Roscoe, no you cannot search across multiple catalogs. ther are pluses amd minuses to single or multiple catalogs. The best way to esatblish what may work best for you is to set out your work flow, volume of files, computer specs and look from there - the answer ought to be apparent. But as each of us has differing wants you really need to work out what is best for you, no one else can.
You may want to look at Lightroomforums for more answers too.

I see no reason to change for my needs. I don't run a business and my work keeps me so busy now I don't get to go out much just to shoot. I was just curious that given how well LR catalogs why folks felt the need to keep multiples.

Thanks

I see no reason to change for my needs. I don't run a business and my work keeps me so busy now I don't get to go out much just to shoot. I was just curious that given how well LR catalogs why folks felt the need to keep multiples.

Thanks

The overall answer is need. I used to have quite a few catalogs, one for each event (weddings, etc). Now I just have two: one for images that come out of the camera(s) and one for scanned images (old family photos mostly).

With the latest iteration of smart collections, I prefer to use the power and flexibility of the data base.

I used to only have one catalog with 4000 images in LR1 and it takes awhile to do anything, I am not sure if LR3 is better in handling large image collection. I decided to use one catalog per occasion/trip/shoot, it is much faster.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom