Advantages/Disadvantages of the Z System

Potential disadvantage: not so easily-available replaceable or additional memory cards when some disaster happens out in the field and away from home and all of a sudden the photographer needs at least one or more new memory cards in a hurry while being in a strange unfamiliar location. Finding SD cards, which are fairly commonplace these days, is going to be a lot easier than finding XQD cards......
This somewhat bugs me. Despite XQD being superior to UHS-II, the Nikon Z buffer doesn't really take advantage of XQD. You can literally find SD cards in every developing country that sells electronics and/or backwater convenience store that sells micro SD cards which work in an SD card adapter when you're in a pinch.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Advantage or Disadvantage depending on how you look at it.
XQD cards only (for Z6 and Z7) Computers don't come equipped with XQD card readers. XQD cards are more expensive, but are reportedly more durable. You can plug in the camera to transfer photos, but, unless I am misinformed, you still need a card reader to upgrade firmware.
Correct

Real Name
Maurie Hill
This somewhat bugs me. Despite XQD being superior to UHS-II, the Nikon Z buffer doesn't really take advantage of XQD. You can literally find SD cards in every developing country that sells electronics and/or backwater convenience store that sells micro SD cards which work in an SD card adapter when you're in a pinch.
Carry more cards.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
I’ve been a photojournalist, photographer, cinematographer, videographer, and common-garden-snapper all my life. The Z7 brings me as much joy, as much convenience s any camera I’ve used in more than 50 years peeking into viewfinders. The only camera I can remember loving so much was a Nikkormat with a 50/1.2 - many many years ago

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Lens adaptability is also an advantage. There is really no practical limit to what can be adapted onto the z-mount.

Manual lenses adaptors plus the Techarts Sony E to Nikon Z mount autofocus adapter are a great benefit.

a perceived disadvantage on the focusing aid side is the punch in requires you to take a pic or press the zoom function button. I’ve heard others prefer that half press of the shutter to zoom out or the option to do so would be nice.
I hope you’re right about the Techart adaptor - I’m waiting on Mr DHL to get me that FE-NZ adaptor down under soon. How can NYC be so far ? ... I Can fly there in 20 hours, B&H despatched it 22 days ago ... my Sony 70-300 on the Z7 hopefully will make up for Nikkor-tardiness.

Real Name
Andrew
I hope you’re right about the Techart adaptor - I’m waiting on Mr DHL to get me that FE-NZ adaptor down under soon. How can NYC be so far ? ... I Can fly there in 20 hours, B&H despatched it 22 days ago ... my Sony 70-300 on the Z7 hopefully will make up for Nikkor-tardiness.
my guess would be that B&H is drop shipping the adapter from the manufacturer or they are in back order status.
Could even be they shipped it on the “slow boat”.

How successful will the Z mount DX 16-50mm be on a Z6, I appreciate the image quality will be lower than an S Line lens but for some occasions it’s a lot less to carry about!

What trips me out how low Nikon Z6 bodies have dropped especially in the gray market:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera-Body-Only/323576192497?epid=15023622984&hash=item4b56a4ddf1:g:VdMAAOSwLrtdQ2Fh

Personally I wouldn't buy gray market body since Nikon won't touch these for repairs unless there's a worldwide recall. Either Nikon made too many cameras; didn't sell enough; or a combination of both.

Don't get me wrong, I believe XQD is a superior format over UHS-II cards, but without having at least a UHS-II second slot option in the Z bodies, it makes it harder to jump into a Nikon Z camera without additional purchases, which includes a new memory card and card reader. XQD only appeals to current Nikon DSLR owners, but for new buyers you can pick up a Canon RP or Sony A7 I/II/III and start shooting straight off the bat. On the Canon side, the EF adapter is cheaper and you can just pick up a 50mm STM or 40mm STM and start shooting. For Sony you can buy a cheap 28-70mm kit and/or 50mm 1.8 FE and have some cheap lenses to start.

Last year I went to Nikon's Z introduction at Samy's Camera, and the crowd was filled with 50-somethings and above. Nikon's done a terrible job marketing to a younger demographic. People used to aspire to own a Nikon body, but nowadays millennials don't have that same kind of brand loyalty.

Last edited:
What trips me out how low Nikon Z6 bodies have dropped especially in the gray market:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera-Body-Only/323576192497?epid=15023622984&hash=item4b56a4ddf1:g:VdMAAOSwLrtdQ2Fh

Personally I wouldn't buy gray market body since Nikon won't touch these for repairs unless there's a worldwide recall. Either Nikon made too many cameras; didn't sell enough; or a combination of both.

Don't get me wrong, I believe XQD is a superior format over UHS-II cards, but without having at least a UHS-II second slot option in the Z bodies, it makes it harder to jump into a Nikon Z camera without additional purchases, which includes a new memory card and card reader. XQD only appeals to current Nikon DSLR owners, but for new buyers you can pick up a Canon RP or Sony A7 I/II/III and start shooting straight off the bat. On the Canon side, the EF adapter is cheaper and you can just pick up a 50mm STM or 40mm STM and start shooting. For Sony you can buy a cheap 28-70mm kit and/or 50mm 1.8 FE and have some cheap lenses to start.

Last year I went to Nikon's Z introduction at Samy's Camera, and the crowd was filled with 50-somethings and above. Nikon's done a terrible job marketing to a younger demographic. People used to aspire to own a Nikon body, but nowadays millennials don't have that same kind of brand loyalty.
The part that I bolded is so, so true! I remember back in the 1970's and 1980's how for many of us Nikon was the Gold Standard. I started out shooting with a Minolta SLR, and after going through a couple of them for a few years then decided that maybe, possibly, I was "ready" for a Nikon..... My first Nikon SLR was the N90, not a professional model, but definitely a wonderful introduction to Nikon and a pleasant and challenging learning curve for me. When the time came a few years later for my first DSLR I didn't even hesitate when asking at the store to see the D70. It was a Nikon. It was "home."

Many of us of "a certain age" were all pretty much at the same time discovering the joys of digital photography and it was a natural step for those who had been using Nikon SLRs prior to that to simply move right on into a Nikon DSLR. We all had a sense of adventure, too, as each new camera model released to the market held new excitement, new features and functions, new joy in shooting....

In 2019, though, young people have already grown up with digital cameras and technology, it's not all that exciting and new to them, and many indeed have not developed any sort of brand loyalty even if they've actually purchased and used a DSLR. Times have changed, the target audience has changed and that target audience needs a much different marketing approach than what worked back in the 1980's and 1990's.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
The part that I bolded is so, so true! I remember back in the 1970's and 1980's how for many of us Nikon was the Gold Standard. I started out shooting with a Minolta SLR, and after going through a couple of them for a few years then decided that maybe, possibly, I was "ready" for a Nikon..... My first Nikon SLR was the N90, not a professional model, but definitely a wonderful introduction to Nikon and a pleasant and challenging learning curve for me. When the time came a few years later for my first DSLR I didn't even hesitate when asking at the store to see the D70. It was a Nikon. It was "home."

Many of us of "a certain age" were all pretty much at the same time discovering the joys of digital photography and it was a natural step for those who had been using Nikon SLRs prior to that to simply move right on into a Nikon DSLR. We all had a sense of adventure, too, as each new camera model released to the market held new excitement, new features and functions, new joy in shooting....

In 2019, though, young people have already grown up with digital cameras and technology, it's not all that exciting and new to them, and many indeed have not developed any sort of brand loyalty even if they've actually purchased and used a DSLR. Times have changed, the target audience has changed and that target audience needs a much different marketing approach than what worked back in the 1980's and 1990's.
I hear ya loud and clear. I’m on the north side of that Certain Age. That’s why I appreciate the weight advantage of the Z system. Curiously my 34yo son who’s grown up using digital cameras (Dad’s cast-offs) has recently discarded all digital and invested in a middle aged Leica. And set up a darkroom in his apartment to complete his creative course. Crazy eh... After more than 40 years of working under red light I couldn’t wait to go digital and never have that red-eye insomnia!

Ah.....the darkroom!!!! There was always something magical about it.....in spite of the smelly chemicals and the semi-darkness and the frustration when after having worked patiently with a negative under the enlarger and more time spent rocking the paper in the chemicals and water bath only to look at the final results and realize that oops, something wasn't right and it had to be redone! I LOVE the convenience and the speed with which we can now shoot a few images and minutes later be looking at them in the computer and with the few clicks of the keys and mouse resize them and make adjustments and, boom, the final image is ready for prime time!

Yes, mirrorless cameras definitely have a weight advantage, although the lenses don't always seem to do so..... I'm getting used to the weight of my new gear after having primarily used a fairly lightweight "bridge" camera, the RX10 IV, and the pocket-sized RX100 VI over the past year and a half! My old NEX-7 and the three lenses I had with it were all fairly lightweight and two of the lenses were pretty small, but the new gear -- full-frame mirrorless body and full-frame lenses -- weighs in at significantly more.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
my guess would be that B&H is drop shipping the adapter from the manufacturer or they are in back order status.
Could even be they shipped it on the “slow boat”.
Finally turned up today. This is what the Sony 70-300G looks like on the Z7 using the Tech Art adaptor (the skinny silver ring)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Results are very good apart from serious pincushion

Fortunately, Lightroom CC has a one-click answer, with the right lens profile

Attachments

Finally turned up today. This is what the Sony 70-300G looks like on the Z7 using the Tech Art adaptor (the skinny silver ring)
View attachment 1650863

Results are very good apart from serious pincushion
View attachment 1650865

Fortunately, Lightroom CC has a one-click answer, with the right lens profile
View attachment 1650866
Curious as to why you went with the Sony 70-300mm G lens as opposed to the Nikon 70-300mm AF-P FX VR lens + FTZ adapter? The Nikon is the cheaper lens (even with FTZ adapter) between the two and it comes with the newer AF-P motor for near silent focusing.

I currently have the Sony 16-35 f4 and 70-200mm f4 FE lenses, and I've been wanting to try them on a Z body + Techart adapter.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom