Advantages/Disadvantages of the Z System

Real Name
Barry
I have read somewhere that the Z6 will not autofocus with a lot of their older lens using the FTZ adapter, as I would want to use my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 lens and my Nikon 70-200VR1 f2.8 lens, does anyone know if either or both of these lens will autofocus with the Z6.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Curious as to why you went with the Sony 70-300mm G lens as opposed to the Nikon 70-300mm AF-P FX VR lens + FTZ adapter? The Nikon is the cheaper lens (even with FTZ adapter) between the two and it comes with the newer AF-P motor for near silent focusing.

I currently have the Sony 16-35 f4 and 70-200mm f4 FE lenses, and I've been wanting to try them on a Z body + Techart adapter.
The Sony is smaller and the clumsy FTZ adds too much bulk. My Z kit is intended primarily as a travel kit. In March I'm heading off on a Round The World trip involving 14 flights, and my kit will consist of the Z7, 2 sp batts, 6 XQD cards, Nik 14-70 & 24-70 plus this Sony 70-300. All that fits in a mid size Crumpler bag and weighs in at 7 kg to make the nice people at Check-In happy.
Curious as to why you went with the Sony 70-300mm G lens as opposed to the Nikon 70-300mm AF-P FX VR lens + FTZ adapter? The Nikon is the cheaper lens (even with FTZ adapter) between the two and it comes with the newer AF-P motor for near silent focusing.

I currently have the Sony 16-35 f4 and 70-200mm f4 FE lenses, and I've been wanting to try them on a Z body + Techart adapter.
That Techart adaptor works just like they say. 👍

Real Name
Chris
Yeah but it's too big! Mirrorless is supposed to be compact!
You stated previously you wanted a Zeiss 50 for the Z mount so I guess I was just comparing the two. The Zeiss is much larger, heavier, and 3 times more expensive. I attached images of the dimensions and weight of each. The Nikkor S is smaller, lighter, 1/3 the price and has equal if not better optics.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Maurie Hill
You stated previously you wanted a Zeiss 50 for the Z mount so I guess I was just comparing the two. The Zeiss is much larger, heavier, and 3 times more expensive. I attached images of the dimensions and weight of each. The Nikkor S is smaller, lighter, 1/3 the price and has equal if not better optics. View attachment 1650889View attachment 1650890
I was comparing the manual 11 ½ oz Zeiss 50/1.4 ZF that I use occasionally on my D5. Not the 2 ½ pound Otus behemoth.

Last edited:
Perhaps, to be clearer, the Z6 itself is NOT compatible and cannot control a CLS system. But when an su-800 or CLS compatible flash is mounted then it (the flash) is capable of controlling other CLS flashes on 3 channels/groups. The camera can only control sb-500/5000 flashes either directly or wirelessly.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Yes, but I believe the lacking of the pop-up flash is what causes the in-camera control of the CLS to be missing.
From Dave's post (Post #5) at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/using-the-su800-with-the-z7-z6.320038/:
"What is missing is the in-camera flash and in-camera cls control."
Mike, if you like, you can download / view the user’s manual for the Z6/Z7 from

http://download.nikonimglib.com/archive3/hVT7m00wqyz604snLwN16L5IiC42/Z7Z6RM_(En)03.pdf

and read up on the extensive instructions about using multiple remotely controlled flashes with both optical and radio remote control.

Z6/Z7 do not give up a lot to earlier model Nikon cameras. They just do things a bit differently :)

I hear ya loud and clear. I’m on the north side of that Certain Age. That’s why I appreciate the weight advantage of the Z system.

Curiously my 34yo son who’s grown up using digital cameras (Dad’s cast-offs) has recently discarded all digital and invested in a middle aged Leica. And set up a darkroom in his apartment to complete his creative course. Crazy eh... After more than 40 years of working under red light I couldn’t wait to go digital and never have that red-eye insomnia!
I suggest you look at m4/3.
At my age and physical condition (injuries), weight of the kit has become an issue.
Kit weight is both camera + lens. I don't see the Z lenses getting significantly lighter than the old F lenses.
So I switched primarily to m4/3.

My standard m4/3 travel kit (Olympus EM1 + Panasonic-Lumix 12-60) is about 45% lighter than my D7200 + 18-140. For this old man, the Olympus kit was soo much easier to travel with.
For my DX kit, I drew a line in the sand, no FX/DX lens over 300mm; too heavy and bulky. If I need to go long, I use a long lens on the m4/3.

But even with m4/3 you have to be careful in your gear selection, or your kit weight can get close to DX/FX.

Having said that, I have been considering upgrading my DX camera to a FX camera (D750, D810, Z6), as a FX companion to my m4/3 kit, when I want max IQ, especially in low light.
Sort of the digital equivalent to the film 35mm + medium/large format combination.

He he
I'm going around, and want to set up a wet darkroom.
Yes you can to more and faster with digital, but I find a wet darkroom to be a relaxing experience.

Last edited:
Z6/Z7 do not give up a lot to earlier model Nikon cameras.
I agree. However, as I understand it, no Z camera bodies so far have menus that allow control of the off-camera flash units. In the confines of my makeshift studio where it is so much more convenient to control everything at the camera body rather than attending to the menu system of a flash unit, which I find far less intuitive, this is a clear disadvantage.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom