Advantages/Disadvantages of the Z System

I have read somewhere that the Z6 will not autofocus with a lot of their older lens using the FTZ adapter, as I would want to use my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 lens and my Nikon 70-200VR1 f2.8 lens, does anyone know if either or both of these lens will autofocus with the Z6.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Curious as to why you went with the Sony 70-300mm G lens as opposed to the Nikon 70-300mm AF-P FX VR lens + FTZ adapter? The Nikon is the cheaper lens (even with FTZ adapter) between the two and it comes with the newer AF-P motor for near silent focusing.

I currently have the Sony 16-35 f4 and 70-200mm f4 FE lenses, and I've been wanting to try them on a Z body + Techart adapter.
The Sony is smaller and the clumsy FTZ adds too much bulk. My Z kit is intended primarily as a travel kit. In March I'm heading off on a Round The World trip involving 14 flights, and my kit will consist of the Z7, 2 sp batts, 6 XQD cards, Nik 14-70 & 24-70 plus this Sony 70-300. All that fits in a mid size Crumpler bag and weighs in at 7 kg to make the nice people at Check-In happy.
Curious as to why you went with the Sony 70-300mm G lens as opposed to the Nikon 70-300mm AF-P FX VR lens + FTZ adapter? The Nikon is the cheaper lens (even with FTZ adapter) between the two and it comes with the newer AF-P motor for near silent focusing.

I currently have the Sony 16-35 f4 and 70-200mm f4 FE lenses, and I've been wanting to try them on a Z body + Techart adapter.
That Techart adaptor works just like they say. 👍

Real Name
Chris
Yeah but it's too big! Mirrorless is supposed to be compact!
You stated previously you wanted a Zeiss 50 for the Z mount so I guess I was just comparing the two. The Zeiss is much larger, heavier, and 3 times more expensive. I attached images of the dimensions and weight of each. The Nikkor S is smaller, lighter, 1/3 the price and has equal if not better optics.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Maurie Hill
You stated previously you wanted a Zeiss 50 for the Z mount so I guess I was just comparing the two. The Zeiss is much larger, heavier, and 3 times more expensive. I attached images of the dimensions and weight of each. The Nikkor S is smaller, lighter, 1/3 the price and has equal if not better optics. View attachment 1650889View attachment 1650890
I was comparing the manual 11 ½ oz Zeiss 50/1.4 ZF that I use occasionally on my D5. Not the 2 ½ pound Otus behemoth.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom