Advice...50mm minty MF/1.2 or new AF/1.4 ~same $$

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Vernon t, Oct 14, 2005.

1. 50mm minty MF/1.2 or new AF/1.4

Lens lust batting it's sexy eyelashes. Lenses...stroking, figuratively, my delicate parts. :cool:

A used minty AIS f1.2 50mm for about what B&H wants for a US warrantied AF1.4.

Hmmmmmmm....I say now.....

The AF 1.4 is one of those lenses that owners dearly love.
    One of my passions is available low-light shots. I hate obtrusive strobes. f1.2 right up my alley.

The test shots I did in the store are nice but DOF is soooo thin....if the subject is not looking straight at you both eyes are never both focused.

Owners...how usable is either lens in the real world wide open??

To make things worse the cost of the 1.2 new is B&H/$560...!...twice a AF 1.4. I hate passing on good deals.

I'm guessing the 1.2's half stop advantage is not that much faster. Any shots I'd get with the extra half stop would be canceled out by the lost shots due to out of focus user(me) error. I love my 105.2.5 but, dang, in dim light wide open the thin DOF is hard to get where you want it. I have way too many well focused nose-tips and ears and fuzzy eyes...wasteful for sure.

To compound my hand wringing they also had a lust-worthy 180/2.8 :confused: but thats another issue. It was a tiny bit dusty inside so I passed...but the test images with it even in the store...wow.

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have the 50mm/1.4; I love it but don't use it as much as I should...... but if you want REALLY LOW LIGHT go for the 1.2 it certainly makes a difference! The downside to these lenses is that wide open they have VERY limited DOF, and on the D70 it is equivalent to 75mm. That said I'll never get rid of mine....

52575864_9268e3ae90_o.

28028583_b9a80711cd_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, the f/1.2 is tempting but for what I use fast primes for (low light shooting, particularly concerts) I trust the AF system far more than my own manual focusing abilities. So I'd probably go with the f/1.4 (and in fact I did).

4. Vernon,

I currently have the 50 1.4D and quite frankly I prefer it over the 50 1.2 AIS. I did own a really nice copy of the 50 1.2, however I liked the 50 1.4D more. Now if you can get your hands on a 58 1.2 Noct...That's a horse of a different color.

Also so you know I prefer the 45 2.8P over the 50 1.4. On first look it sounds like it is not as bright, but the 50 1.4D really gets sharp a f2.0. The 45 has so much contrast I end up shooting it at about -.3 to -.7 EV most of the time to keep the highlights from blowing. It is sharp wide open too. Now the trick is to find one cause Nikon just discontinued it. Folks are grabbing whatever they can. some silver ones are around but right now I am sitting fat with a black import. Also if you go the 45 route there is no need to buy a US one. Save the cash as it's only four elements and the digital chip. Not much can go wrong, plus if anything does it will most likely cost you the same as the extra cash for the US to get it fixed.

GenoP

It's also a great street lens...Elvis never looked so good.

Nikon D100 ,Nikkor 45mm f/2.8P
    1/500s f/4.0 at 45.0mm
    [​IMG]

Chuck Carothers
    Nikon D2h ,Nikkor 45mm f/2.8P
    1/125s f/2.8 at 45.0mm iso400
    [​IMG]

5. Geno...I'm so happy to hear you say this.
    I'm just lusting over lenses I don't really need, being, redundant.

Here is a shot in my bedroom last week with my new little lens(on the left, of course!) I need to get out and use it!

It was as-new in the box on Ebay.

medium.

6. In my testing (I just got the 50mm 1.2 abouth 3 weeks ago) it has a bit of a "dream" effect at F1.2, cool for effects not quite what you are looking for? Sharp at F2.0 as far as I can tell

Options:
    * 50mm F1.8 AIS, sharp as you now what early on the aperture scale, love it on the D2X and so does Bjorn Rorslett (www.naturfotograf.com ) THis lens can be had for $50-$60 dollars on Ebay if you are lucky for even less!
    * 45P F2.8, Very contrasty and sharp with a nice Bokeh, another advantage is that it is pretty much geometrically distortion free, great for architecture. And it is a P lens so you can use the aperture ring or the wheel on the back of the D2 camera to set the aperture.
    * Noct 58mm F1.2, I tried one and was was suitiably impressed, Quite sharp at F1.2, great at F1.8 to F4 then degrades. Some curvature problems, not the greatest for architecture?

You cant go wrong with the F1.8 AIS and is is dirt cheap!

7. The noct is impressive. Magical. I can't go on about it when there's a Master around so let's wait for his word.

The curvature is about the focus: If you focus at 3 feet, not all will be in focus at 3 feet. It's about focus plane. I don't thnk this lens has objectionable distortion, if any at all.