Advice about PP software needed

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Luckynp, Jul 27, 2005.

1. My wife has just decided that she no longer wants a beautiful little JVC mini laptop she bought last year. It's not a bad spec, runs Windows XP Pro, 40 Gb hard drive, great little screen and it seems small enough to take on trips instead of my Flashtrax which seems a little unreliable now.

The basic problem is it has only 256 Mb RAM and Capture and PS7 won't run acceptably. I would like to be able to do some work with images on the road. I always shoot RAW but I don't usually do much in Capture before going to PS.

My question is, is there any PP software which will run acceptably in this amount of RAM? I'm considering Photoshop Elements. Can it handle NEF files and will it run at reasonable speed? Other than that. it seems I'm stuck with Nikon View.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I might be chaeper to upgrade the RAM so you can use whatever software you want. I find my older Powerbook is much better than any of the little image bank devices because it has a huge screen, runs Photoshop and can burn CDs in the field.

Oh, and yes. PS Elements will process NEFs.

3. Thanks Chris. This seems to be the concesnsus of opinion. The notebook has a limit of 512 MB, so I'll bump it up to that and see what happens.

4. I dont want to be a spoiler but when i tested the demands of NC 4.2 and 4.3 for RAM I found that unless you have more then 1.6 GB RAM (!!!) it will start swapping to the harddrive. This is of course insane. Nikon's programmers just basically failed the elementary programming class on that alone. Then the fact that NC doesnt use the graphics processor at all. F again.

So the best choice for you IMHO is to stay clear of NC 4 (Nikon View and it's editor uses the NC 4 DLL's so they should not be used either) and go for say Photoshop elements or Photoshop CS (or CS2) they seem to do ok on 512 MB, but not great.

Hope this was helpful

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I don't know what it is with NC. I just had a PC built with a 3.4 GHz P4 processor and 4 GB RAM. It still runs slowly compared to PC/ACR. I want to use it, I really do. But it's so sloooow . . . . :?

6. Check out JASC paint shop pro 9. It's a dinomite program............. and has the Bibble RAW converter.

JohnG