Advice and thoughts, please - photographing a school day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luckynp, Jun 9, 2005.

1. I have been asked to spend a day in a junior school next week taking photographs for the school brochure. No pay, just covering expenses. I don't have a problem with this, I love trying out all kinds of new photo situations, and I especially love this kind of informal, "follow the action" kind of situation. I'm really looking forward to it.

There are a range of activities happening, including orchestra practice. I imagine I will also be taking photographs of normal school activities through the day. I'm hoping that after an initial period of self-consciousness the kids will almost forget I'm there.

I have available, 17-55DX, 70-200 VR (+TC-17e if necessary), 24-120 VR and SB-800.

I'd really welcome any advice and thoughts from forum members about how to get the best out of this situation.

2. I'd bring the 17-55 and maybe the SB-800. If you're doing a lot of indoor, the longer lenses won't be necessary. Might try getting low and taking shots from a child's perspective. Get close and find activity. Sounds like fun.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I would take the 24-120VR and possibly the 70-200VR, because you will have lot's of situations that need a very fast shot to catch something, and the VR will be perfect to do that. The 70-200 will also help getting in tight for candids, or other activity where you can't get too close. If it's just going to be one lens, the 24-120VR is my choice.

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    17-55 would be my primary choice with the 70-200 used every so often. Fill the frame to exclude open spaces and look for best composition. Back off some if you plan to crop for composition. Should be fun.

My main reason for posting is for you to look at the school's written policy regarding photographs/photographing of these school children. You want to make certain that you are not vunerable to complaints (like a parent). CYA!

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I agree with Larry, definately have the school sign a release, and make sure a release is signed for each child before releasing the photos. Maybe you can have the school send out a "photo day" announcement with the kids and have them sign a simple release.

As for photographing school kids, I know what I'd like to do, but I haven't actually shot school kids.

I do love children photography though.

The best part of childhood is their interaction with the environment. I'd try to capture the kids expressions with the teacher lecturing in the background and the like. Also kids interacting and playing on the playgrounds...

When I photograph kids, I try to capture kids being kids... Here's a couple of mine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Thanks for the advice guys. I'd just been assuming that, as the headteacher had asked me to do this, she would have obtained all the necessary clearances. I'll ask some more specific questions about it now.