Advice for D90 repair ...

My wife’s beloved D90, which we purchased brand new from PhotoMark in Phoenix, Az (now closed) in 2010, seems to have bought the farm.
She noticed the green LED on the body that blinks when transferring files from the SD card was blinking while the camera was off. After fiddling with it, I noticed that the blinking stopped when the card was removed, so I did that and left it for later. The next day, come to find that the battery is totally dead. Pop in a freshly charged battery and that one lasted only 1.5 days with minimal photos taken. Seems that something in the camera is draining the batteries. (Full disclosure: when we were in Hawaii last year, we did get caught in a downpour that may have instigated this issue. The “left direction arrow button” on the rear of the body stopped working afterwards, but everything else was fine)

is it worth sending in for repairs? I see B&H has a Nikon USA- refurbished body for $299. My wife’s D90 has been all over the world from India to China to Chile and has always taken phenomenal images. It is actually an easy body to get spoiled by; coupled with the 1st-gen 18-200 VR, it is a solid travel camera. Colors are truly vibrant and I am often shocked that this old camera is so dang good.

what are your thoughts on going with a D7200 or 7500 as a replacement? I use a 7100, and I really have to work hard to get good photos out of it.

It is either a question of repair v replace costs on the D90. Before jumping either way I would suggest going and trying out other Nikon D models first, then decide. How much are you prepared to spend Is the question on any of these alternatives you have to ask yourself?
Maybe a used D300 could come into the equation, I found that a fairly decent upgrade from the D200 which may fit the purse a bit better
As a footnote I still have my D300 even though moved on to a D810. The D300 still gets used with a 12-24mm DX lens when I want wide shots

Last edited:
It might be worth doing a master reset to factory default settings.

To restore a Nikon D90 to its factory settings hold the [+/- Exposure Compensation] button and the [AF Mode] button down together, until the control panel turns off briefly while the camera resets itself to the factory default settings.

I've seen this do wonders for others on different model bodies.

It might be worth doing a master reset to factory default settings.

To restore a Nikon D90 to its factory settings hold the [+/- Exposure Compensation] button and the [AF Mode] button down together, until the control panel turns off briefly while the camera resets itself to the factory default settings.

I've seen this do wonders for others on different model bodies.
i would agree apart from " we did get caught in a downpour that may have instigated this issue" and that stopped me from suggesting it. I don't think the D90 has the same weather sealings of newer models. if the water got into the printed circuit card then the reset may not work .

A little tip, carry a clear plastic bag, so it it starts raining it will protect the camera and with a hole in the bottom of the bag you can carry on taking photos. Cheap tip and takes up no space in a pocket

Last edited:
I had the D7100 and gave it to my son as I found the FPS too slow for a lot of things I did. But its great for Landscapes. Maybe a use D600 would work well as a FX body.
I still have my D300 and works well in good light.
I think I would look to upgrade to a newer body if the budget allows, unless she is set on that body and then check KEH and the likes.

Real Name
David
Sadly I'm not sure it's worth sending it in for service. MPB, B&H, Roberts all have some. MPB has 2 rated like new for $199, not bad.

Replacement options?

She likes the images coming from her D90, you have to work to get ones you like out of the D7100?

The D90 has a Sony sensor, the D5200, D7100, and D7200 all have Toshiba sensors. The D5200 and D7100 have the same Expeed 3 processor while the D5300 and D7200 have Expeed 4. So personally I'd eliminate the D5200 and D7100. Might be nothing but it's an easy way to cut a few options.

Since you seem to keep them a while I'd probably look at the D7500 or D5600 (assuming she wants to stay with an SLR). The D5600 is smaller and lighter but she would give up one command dial, if she's not a big manual mode shooter it might be OK. But the D5600 won't AF screw drive lenses, so that's a consideration. Many dismiss the D7500, but I find it appealing now that Nikon has stopped trying to pass the D7### line off as D300 successors. There are some limitations, compared to the D90, the D7500 loses the 'Ai' indexing tab.

Last edited:
There's a D90 for sale on KEH for $160.
The ad says it's in excellent condition.
180 day warranty.
Nothing on FM.
B&H has some Nikon refurbished D90's for $299.
Sounds like your best bet.
I'm would think Nikon furnishes a warranty with each refurb sale.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
I would look at it the way: if you were to try to sell a D90 in excellent condition, how much would it fetch? Say about half of what they're selling for on the used market. In that case, the repair will almost certainly exceed the value. There are numerous good options on the used market in the $200 to 300 range that probably would be a significant upgrade in feature set and performance. That is probably about what the repair cost would be to the broken D90.

I guess what I’ll wind up doing is send it to APS and see what they say.
I tried the master reset as suggested - didn’t help...also as predicted.
I can’t put my finger on an actual budget for a replacement, because it is an unexpected cost, though currently a D7500 body has a $100 instant rebate where it comes in at $896.

thanks for all your suggestions!

No way would I pay to repair a D90. It's just too old. Try and find a newer DX camera from the D7x00 family.
Agreed. The D90 has served you well. It's a great camera. If you both liked the D90 you'll love a new, or lightly used D7200. I now shoot D500 bodies but I still have, and shoot, two D7200's, and they continue to produce some great stuff. Let us know what you end up with and post some images. Good luck, you can't lose.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom