Advice Needed for New Camera Purchase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TZ250, Jul 27, 2008.

1. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Guys, this is a cool forum. This is my first post.

I'm an amatuer looking to upgrade cameras. I confess to being a Nikon fan. I just wore out a camera that I've never liked. It is a Fuji S7000. I didn't have the money to buy a nice camera four years ago.

I have a few old lenses for my N6006 and FM2.

I'm now thinking of buying:
    D300
    70-300 VR
    18-55
    SB-800
    Sandisk Extreme IV 8Gb. CF Card

I shoot anything and everything. The occasional wedding for a friend, macro work, nature, kids playing.... This is strictly amatuer work, no pay.

What do you think of this list?

2. Looks like a great starter kit. If you're looking for help spending your money you've hit the JACKPOT!!!

3. welcome to THE CAFE
    glad to have you here

sounds like you are on the RIGHT TRACK
    i hope that you will contribute here often

if you so desire... you can start a new thread in the new member intro area.

what is YOUR FIRST NAME.... if i might ask?
    nice bike in your avatar, by the way

4. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    welcome, looks a pretty nice kit to me too. Maybe if you do weddings though add a 50 1.8 or even a 28-75 F/2.8 (Tamron also doubles as a passable macro lens) as well ?

5. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Nice Body

We're all "on a budget" as hobbyists and have to make careful choices. :smile:IT seems that pro's always have deep pockets :tongue::smile:

Concerning the lenses you have chosen I would buy one "walk around" lens of the highest quality you can afford then add on a tele or super wide later. I quickly went through two different Nikon "kit" lenses and was not satisified with either of them, though they were good for the money. To some extent its a matter of personal preference, but I really do like having a constant aperture f 2.8 18-50mm f2.8 (sigma in my case) rather than the 3.5-5.6 kit lens. There are many advocates of the Nikon equivalent though it is a bit more expensive, I could not afford it. If I were doing it over again would have started with the Sigma or Nikon 2.8 lens and saved myself a lot of horse trading to get something that works well for me.

Same thing for the 70-300 VR, and hope my opinion does not offend anyone. I have one and can only say that it is an OK medium tele lens. Must admit that am a bit spoiled because I help my sister with her bird photography and she has two Canon teles, each of which cost more than my entire photo outfit, and either of which puts my zoom tele to shame (not a Canon fan myself though). If I were buying a tele again, I would look for something faster and better PQ wise than the 70-300VR. I would replace mine but I don't need those focal lengths too much and would rather that my next investment be a very wide lens.

But again, it is what satisfies you and what kind of photography you plan on doing.

btw, I have the SB600 flash and am very impressed with it so would expect the sb800 to be even more satisfying.

6. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the advice. I hope to buy a something similar to this list in the next week or so. I've been reading about this equipment for a while.

Spalding12, I forgot to add my signature line. My name is Rob. The bike is a Yamaha TZ250. I raced for a while.

I use GIMP software (www.gimp.org). I've only used it for basic editing. I have a lot to learn. Fortunately, I love to learn! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  7. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    The only thing that I could add is a 18-200 vr. It is a pretty good lens. I have the 70-300 vr as well and I use the 18-200 vr more. You can get closer to an object like a flower.

8. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I fully agree with Ed here. A lot depends on your shooting style but I'd rather have the speed and versatility of a /2.8 zoom. I also shoot with the Sigma 18-50/2.8 HSM - when checking out the reviews keep in mind that Sigma improved the optics of the HSM variant significantly over the non-HSM variant (or so I'm told :rolleyes:).

Also, consider 2nd hand lenses. With some work a 80-200/2.8 can be found on the second hand market for good prices. The lens has a virtually indestructible build quality so no worries over that.

Finally, check out the prices of 2nd hand flashes on eBay and Craigslist. As a buyer you won't find many good deals - but think of it from a selling perspective. If you're cash strapped, consider starting with an SB-600 that you sell after a year - probably for only $25 to $50 less than you bought it. Consider it renting - renting an SB-600 for $50 for a whole year is less than $1 per week! This way you can save some cash now and put that towards lenses - and upgrade to an SB-800 or even an SB-900 a year from now.

9. You might want to consider a 18-70/3.5 which is also a kit lens but very sharp and a nice lens for the money. Should be easy to find a minty used 18-55 or 18-70.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

10. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska

If I could take over your mind and control your every thought... I would force you to buy the following -

D300/18-200 kit
    sb-600
    omnibounce
    sc-28
    flashbracket
    Two 4GB cards

11. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    I already have a flash bracket. That's a good start. :wink:

12. Globetrotter

Globetrotter

May 4, 2008
    SoCal
    Welcome Rob. I'm pretty new around here myself and I like what I see from the Cafe so far. Seems like everyone here pretty much got you started. I just bought a D300 myself (thanks Lanthier!) and can't wait to try it out.

Where did you race your TZ? As you can see in my avatar, I'm a bit of a motorcyclist myself and I race here and there as well. I've never raced a two-stroke, but I'd love to try it one day.

13. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Troy, is this you? http://tinyurl.com/5jrcml

I raced with WERA. I'm a two stroke fanatic. In todays eco climate, I'll be burned at the stake for saying that! :wink: I've tinkered with some four strokes on the track, but I prefer two strokes. My 2001 GSXR1000 was a handfull on the track (open track day). It is like a schoolbus on nitrous!

I don't roadrace any more. I can't afford it. In a couple of weeks I'm going to try to get my GSXR into the 9's at the local dragstrip. Neither the bike, nor myself, are dragracers. It's better than nothing and it's legal to hold the throttle open. Last August I got bored and decided to take the 250 to the dragstrip. After making a chain guard to pass tech inspection and wiring the tether kill switch, I ran a best of 11.77 @ 118 MPH. The 60ft. time was terrible. TZ's have VERY tall first gears. The clutch was my best spare, but still not good. I'll take it back later this year. When I do, I'll drop a tooth on the countershaft sprocket. That should get me into the 11.50's.

As for camera's, the D300 seems perfect for me. I can't justify the cost of FX. My ability is greater than my current camera. I prefer my equipment to be beyond my ability. That way, I can grow and learn about photography. The D300 will certainly fix that problem! :)

14. I like this setup a bit better:

D300
    70-300VR
    18-70
    SB-800
    Two Sandisk Extreme III or IV cards
    Hyperdrive HD80.

The 18-70 is a (much) better-built lens that seems to be sharper than the 18-55. The extra reach is more important than you think.

The two 4G cards will be better than the 8G card. If you manage to corrupt your card, you won't lose all your shots.

The Hyperdrive HD80 is a wonderful device. I just picked one up from a fellow Cafe member. It's the fastest storage device I've ever used. I shot a wedding, and downloaded a 4G card full of RAW shots in 7 minutes - without losing a single bar on the charge register. Besides, it runs on AA batteries, so you don't need to carry around a charger. It's not as sexy as the Epsons or even the Coolwalker, but it smokes both of them on battery life, downloading speed, and ease of operation. Add to that the fact that you can upgrade the storage space, and you've got an inexpensive winner.

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

15. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Two strokes are very simple. This 1994 TZ125 was shipped to me via UPS in five boxes. Try that with a GSXR!
    94TZ125-1A.jpg

This was a FZR400 piston. A valve came apart on the back straight at Gingerman Raceway.
    2004_1210Image0008A-1.jpg

16. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    OW! Betcha that made a noise!:biggrin:

17. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    At least try out a prime lens, 30/1.4 or 50/1.4.
    Also, Keh.com for used lenses.

18. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    How would a card become corrupted? I've never heard of that before.

19. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    First of all, welcome!

Second, I want to say that I wouldn't start with that much gear. D300 and 18-200 VR. Buy it, shoot with it, then decide what you want to do. After that, you'll probably be convinced into a 50/1.4, 70-300mm VR (Or 300/4, god forbid!), and sb-800. But the best advice I can give is to not overdo it on the first purchase and see what you need.

20. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO

There are countless things that can corrupt a card but most of them have to do with removing them from your computer's card reader before going through the trouble of ejecting it properly. Kind of like what happens with a memory stick. Plus you can always get a virus.

I have discovered that if it gets washed in the washer, it usually survives.:biggrin: I haven't tried the dryer...yet.

I agree with the two 4 gig cards but for kind of a different reason....how big is a dvd? Roughly 4 gig. Loosing Corrupted files are not really a problem for me because I got a recovery disk pogram that came with my extreme card. Plus all my good pics get saved to my computer when I get home and to a CD. So all I loose is whatever I took that day.