Advice needed for travel kit

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by RichNY, Aug 3, 2008.

1. RichNY

RichNY Guest

With only 15 days left before a 2 week vacation to Europe I am driving myself nuts with what gear to bring. I swore to myself on my last vacation that I would go lighter, enjoy myself more, and just take a digicam.

This trip will be to Finland, Poland, Slovakia, Hungry, and Austria.

Old Kit- Slingshot 200, Canon 30D, 10-22, 17-55, 85 f/1.8, gorillapod, flash
    95% of the shots were taken with the 10-22, the 85 and pod weren't used.

This trip:
    D300 w/o grip, 10-20, 30 f/1.4, SB-800

Option A- 17-55 f/2.8
    Option B- 17-55 f/2.8 & 70-300 VR
    Option C- Nikon 18-200 VR

I'm torn between do I go with the best optics, even bother shooting longer than 55mm, or make life easier and shoot with a slower but more convenient 18-200 VR (I would need to pick one up before the trip and sell it when I return so I don't have first hand experience with this glass)

2. If you're taking the 30, you could just leave the 17-55 at home and take the 70-300 to stay light. I would take option B, but I'm a notorious over-packer.

I've also very recently been tempted by the 18-200 VR option solely for these kinds of trips.

3. Hi Rich

I was just pondering your question. If I was traveling solo, I would probably take all my gear. My addiction would not allow other wise.

However, if I was traveling with family or companion, and really wanted to enjoy & shoot as well.....Well, I just bought my wife the Canon S5IS for $299.00 from J&R(free ship..they matched Amazon for me). Probably the absolutely best all around movie & camera combo...with twist and turn LCD screen. And flash mount as well!

I also bought 3 SanDisk ExtremeIII 4 GIG cards for movies....$45.00 net(w/rebate) for all three!..buydig.com. What a buy:smile:

Movies, flash, macro, telephoto lens 36-420?, twist & turn LCD screen for shooting above heads in a crowd, hot shoe for flash....hey, what more can you ask for.

BTW, I would be happy to show you the one I bought.

mike

4. In Europe for vacation last year, the 17-55 covered 90% of what I needed, with the 70-200VR good for church interiors, ceilings, etc. On days I wanted to go lighter, I took the 70-300VR instead. I'd go with Option B. Have a great trip Rich.

5. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I'm heading to England in October. I'll probably take the 10-20 Sigma, 35 f2, 60 Micro, and 85 1.4. I know that's four lenses, but they're pretty small. I might leave the 60 out as the 35 f2 focuses pretty close, or bring an extension tube for it.

6. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Mike- I bought Val an S3IS that she will be using for this trip; I have been tempted to buy another one for me and forget taking everything else. My best travel images that I've ever taken were with a digicam in Bora Bora.

7. Just wondering, Edward, which Pelican case is that you are using? I'm debating about getting a Pelican for travel....
    Jack

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

personally i would take my wife's d40 with my sig 30 1.4 mounted and call it DONE!

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

just twice so far ...ROTFL
    :tongue:

10. RonL

RonL

Aug 5, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I think I need to buy my wife a D300 w/ 17-55 :biggrin:. She really deserves it.

11. I'd vote for Option B because it's your vacation and that's a time to do what you want to do. So take the good stuff and shoot your best pictures.....

If the reason for your trip is not photography and handing a heavy bag is an issue, then I'd recommend Option C and the cheap Tamrac 5501. It's a great little bag if you have to travel small and light... It's small enough not to bother "non-camera" folks, but large enough told hold enough camera gear to be dangerous. Because it will hold the 17x55, I use it so much it's kinda like my "man purse" now... :biggrin:

Tamrac 5001
    Tamrac Modular Lens Cases

If you want to carry the 10x20 as well, you'd have to add a lens case. Not sure the size for that lens, but most likely the 5375 or 5341 would work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I have several options, but my fav travel is:

Nikkor 12-24, 80-200 f2.8, TC1.4, Canon 500D. All fits in an AW2 LoPro. which fits nicely in the Day Pack I carry. The AW2 works well for me with a belt and/or sholder strap.

Next choice is my 24-85 D on either body. #1 is the goto kit for trips that are photographic targets, 24-85D when imaging is not as important.

13. I'd go with the 17-55 + 70-300 combo. This is the the combo that I plan on having when I head to Hawaii for two weeks next June. I'd be tempted to take along my 10-20 for those wide angle shots, but I can also stitch a few shots together from the 17-55 to get a panoramic shot.

14. mikechang

mikechang

Jun 9, 2008
    San Diego
    I've never traveled too far away from home, but I'm just not as strong as most ppl here in the forum :p
    I love my 16-85VR with D80 for traveling, add a SB600 if there's gonna be any portraits.
    and i actually don't need any tele-zooms at all... this differs for every person.

but since you mentioned most shots were taken with 10-22, maybe you should consider bringing a wide angle lens??

based on your own photo shooting style, do you think you'd use wide angle more? standard zoom range more? or tele-zoom more?

for me, it's all about wide angle and standard zoom for scenery and a little bit of portraits, so 16-85 serves me well, and i don't think the larger aperture on 17-55 or the beast would do too much for me, and it's gonna be a lot of extra weight....

15. RichNY

RichNY Guest

The purpose of this trip is for enjoyment with my girlfriend, not photography.

I was going to take my Domke F-2 but after walking around NYC with it all day I think I'd much prefer a small backpack. I don't need a bag to work out of as much as something that I'm going to find comfortable carrying all day for two weeks straight.

16. Rich,

FWIW, I used to commute to Europe on business, took my family on three or four trips.

This was pre-digital, so what I took then was a 70-300/35-70 combo and a 33-105. Used the 30-700 and 35-70 the most. Also took a waterproof APS film camera.

Today, I would and have travelled with 12-224, 35-70 and 70-200. It's what I own, and wouldn't buy a lens for a specific trip.

YMMV. Just a thought.