Advice needed - Tomorrow is the wedding and it's started already

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carole, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    So tomorrow I shoot my first wedding. How do you deal with the people who ask "Can't we just download the images somewhere?" I need to be able to shut these people up as I'm sure I'll encounter others tomorrow. How do others deal with this attitude? Should I put up small images that would be too small for anyone to print without getting mega pixelation? Should I go for a low dpi, or a very tiny image size? Or should I put up nice shots with PROOF across the center and a © symbol?

What do others do?

Thanks,
    Carole

2. Mine get posted to my website with my "marinucciphoto" watermark across them at a reduced size.

3. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    I use SmugMug...

And I lock the galleries 1 year or newer down so a password is required.
    I also right-click protect the photos. Watermarking with a copyright symbol is also a good idea, but use a transparent watermark so it is not as obnoxious.

Then I hand those who ask about downloading photos my business card, and tell them to email me for the link. I also tell them they can order prints directly from the website, as well as other items.

4. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA

I had signed up for an account at Exposure Manager, but I'm not happy with their prints, so I'm going to do self-fulfillment and order the photos from Miller's. Since I have to put these photos somewhere by 8/16 (when the couple will be back from their honeymoon), I may cancel EM and go elsewhere. Not sure what to do on that issue at the moment. Are you happy with Smug Mug? I'm also considering Zenfolio. I liked EM as I can pay by the month and not have to shell out for a whole year since I'm going to have my own website once this wedding is over and I get some free time.

Carole

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Tell them they will be on your website in 3 weeks or so, be sure and have business cards with the gallery name and also passcode. Also do not put hi res images on your site.

Tell them you wouldn't be in business if you put them on CD...if they continue...tell them the image on CD cost $1800.00.

6. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I can just imagine what they'd say to $1800 :) ) But if they went for it, I could get my D300, LOL!!!!

Thanks!
    Carole :) 

7. jaikdee

jaikdee

Feb 25, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I was at a wedding this weekend and the photographer passed out cards with the bride and groom's picture and the photographer's info. She said the pictures will be on the website in about 3 weeks. I'm sure they will be reduced size and that's the way it should be. As far as I could tell, no one had a problem with this. I'm anxious to see if the pictures can compare to some of the images posted here since the photographer was paid $15K.
    Janet

8. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    $15,000??????? What the heck did the photographer do for that kind of money? Damn, I'd jump out of the cake naked for that kind of money, LOL!!!!

Carole

9. $15,000 - That's outrageous!!!

When we got married in Germany in 2006 we hired a local photographer with the explicit expectation that we would get full-size images on CD. We didn't want any prints, just the digital images - prints would have been impractical over such a long distance!

Obviously, he kept the raw files and gave us jpegs, but he invested about 4 hours of PP for every 1 hour of shooting. The images were 12 MP fine jpegs from his D2x. In the end we got about 200 of the best images which are absolutely gorgeous, and we are very happy with the results! The price for 4 hours of shooting + transportation to the wedding + post processing + CD was about 750 euros, as I recall.

He did an outstanding job, and we'd recommend him to anyone :smile:

I'm just bringing this up as an example of what is typical nowadays. Is it too much to expect digital images in this day & age ? I think not!

Cheers

Mike

10. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Ah well, the deal I made with the groom was that I would shoot the wedding and not charge them (his parents are good friends) and that people who wanted prints would order them from me. Perhaps I'll also have a charge for downloading the images. I think I can do that on Exposure Manager where I have an account. If you paid 750 Euros, that's about $1150. If she wants to pay me that, she can have all the images :) 

11. Carole, I am so glad you asked that. I am considering doing some "school"/senior pictures and had been wondering what others were doing.

12. Thats not too bad. Last I checked, Gary Fong was charging $100,000 for a wedding.

13. I see - that changes things. If you're shooting for free and only in it for the prints then of course you shouldn't give away the digital images :smile:

Maybe you can set up a surcharge per print on a smugmug account? You can make your full size pictures non-downloadable, too.

Cheers

Mike

14. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I already have an Exposure Manager account which I'm going to keep until this wedding is over, then do my own website. I can set my own prices on EM which is why I chose it over the SmugMug or Zenfolio. I can also set a price if I want to allow downloads. So if people want to download, I could charge a lot per image, that way they'd order prints as it would be cheaper :) 

15. There are a few photographers who live in California who's blogs I follow and their prices start at $15,000. Not only that, but they charge BY THE HOUR for other photographers to meet with them to discuss shooting and stuff. I think it's a bit insane, as they're taking advantage of people.

16. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    And up here in WA, people are shooting weddings for $500 on Craig's List. Personally, I think that's too low and makes it difficult for photographers to support themselves. Then there are others who are charging $1500-2000.

So what is a reasonable price for a wedding?

Carole

17. My simple response to that question is - "No, but they can be purchased on my website for a small fee." Then I hand them a business card and tell them to e-mail or call me if they have any trouble ordering...

18. I have never known a photog to twist anyones arm. A photographer , like anyone else, is worth what he gets. Its up to him to deliver. Selling is like playing tennis, "He who dose not serve well, looses". When you go to a doctors office for a consultation, don't you pay an office visit charge? Why would you not pay for services rendered. Planning the photography side of a wedding is just as important as making sure the caterer gets the menu right! JMHO Sorry for the soap box, but people want something for nothing these days why.

19. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Some photographers are good and can command that much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.