Advice on D7000 upgrade...used or new?

I have a well-loved D40 with a bad ccd sensor (red dot/line) and am considering upgrading to a D7000. Looking for some advice from those of you with more gear and experience than I...

Right now, I can get a brand new D7000 (body only), with all the original peripherals, for $700... OR I can get an excellent-condition used one off of craigslist for $500, with 50K shutter activations (from a "semi-pro"/wedding/portrait photographer).

Is it worth the extra $200 to get one with less use and a warranty??

Real Name
Randy
YES, especially off CL

another option is to check FM for a low mileage used one

If you haven't yet decided...I would highly recommend buying the D7000 refurbished.
http://www.adorama.com/INKD7000R.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757708-REF/Nikon_25468B_Refurbished_D7000_DSLR_Camera.html

Bought mine from Beach Camera for $619 and received the D7000 as if it was brand new...except for the shutter count being over 10k :(
I hear that this isn't typical...most are much lower.

So far, enjoying the upgrade from my D3100...with the savings from buying new, I picked up a few nice lenses! :happy:

We've had 7 over the last 2 yrs of rodeo ~200,000 clicks. New or refurbed
is definitely the way to go. An expert on the care and feeding (ie: settings)
on the D7K's I'd only buy used if the price was under $500 AND from a
low mile guy I totally trusted on the Cafe/FM. Just sayin'...

Well, folks, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd share my Nikon purchasing experience. Tonight, I won an auction on eBay for a used Nikon D7000 w/18-105mm lens for $635.01 (can't leave out the penny!). The seller says he rarely used it (he put a pic--hopefully the last pic taken--through a shutter count program on the internet and stated in the listing that it had "800+" clicks on it. Hopefully, that doesn't mean 8000!). Obviously I haven't received it yet, but the pics of the camera didn't look like it had been through the spin cycle of a washing machine, so I'm hopeful. He said he'd pack all accessories and the camera in their original boxes for shipment. From what I've read, the D7000 is a great camera, so hopefully we'll have a productive and satisfying partnership for a long while. So, to the OP, there are deals out there to be had, but you might need to be patient. Happy hunting!

MacNikon hat camera is still new even at 8K (150K avg shutter life). I've had mine since they came out and its a fine camera. Good luck with yours.

Hi again, everyone. I received the D7000 today and if I didn't know better, I'd think it was brand new. I took a couple of shots and uploaded the last one to myshuttercount.com, which gave me a shutter count of 830. Yes! Not sure yet if I'm experiencing focusing problems, I need to do further testing. But, so far, so good. Now, I'm thinking of buying the Sigma 18-250mm macro HSM OS lens for it as, from what I've seen, has gotten good reviews for the most part.

Happy shooting!

MacNikon I'm glad your D7000 turned out to be a good one. Enjoy your new camera, I really like mine.

Congrats MacNikon!
Looks like you landed a real great deal.
I purchased mine factory refurbished and it had a count over 10K and I dwelled over it...even considered doing a return.
I finally got over that and now enjoying the D7000 without any 2nd thoughts!
The way I feel about the higher shutter count is that it has been "tested" without any issues...if any, it would have surfaced within the first 10K.

Since you already have the AF-S 18-105mm, maybe consider going with a fast prime lens (35mm f/1.8, 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8) or for more reach the AF-S 70-300mm VR.
Just a suggestion :)

Mac:

I have the 0s Macro (as well as some very nice Nikkor glass). I got it for a travel lens and actually it's very good. Here's a sample on my D7000:

c3d2deb61c53a023bb36cfa6f00a320a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom