Advice on people pic please

This girl came to me and asked if I could take a picture of her and her boyfriend,while I was walking at the town fair
Conditions were: Night,lights from the fair,x 28 F1.4 no flash
Can I give this to her or is it junk?
I'm a dummie with people pictures so anyone? Play it hard I can have it

fn-08.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Of course you can give it to her Hans, I bet she likes it. Just by way of critique, the bright spot on the right of the frame is a little distracting but not overly so. For future shots I would also move in with a tighter crop and do a head and shoulders. They make a cute couple and should be happy to get the image.

Considering the lighting conditions I think you did a great job on the exposure. The only thing I'd do is tweak the white balance some, bring some reds back (yellow/blue cast as is).

I am sure they would love the image as it is but may I make two suggestions though.

When posting images for web display, convert it to sRGB profile.

There is a color cast in the skin tones.

Kind regards,

Hans

This is a handsome couple. Very nice image.
Had a little play with it.

http://www.software-cinema.com/page/htw_bonus?CS=b0def0b8b1274a0aef50b5871f247405
On this page go to defused glow. I used screen.

This link to the basics of what I did..Also converted profile to srgb.

Fixed image. Well best I could do anyway.
48777661.gif

She'll love it! I had a similar situation and took some shots of strangers that they asked me for; worked out well. Most people "love" pictures of themselves, they don't "critique" them... :wink:

BTW, I agree with all the advice given by others. Tweak the WB a bit and send it off.

D

dbirdsong

hans said:
This girl came to me and asked if I could take a picture of her and her boyfriend,while I was walking at the town fair
Conditions were: Night,lights from the fair,x 28 F1.4 no flash
I'm a dummie with people pictures so anyone? Play it hard I can have it

I would have gotten a lot closer...
Like this close
hans.jpg

One of my favorite rules of photographing is this
Rule number 1, get close and then move closer.

Hans, I decided to try my hand at a correction or two with your image. What I did was to use Auto Color correction, Highlight Shadow correction, and just kicked up the contrast a little. I also burned in the right where it is bright and lightened their faces a little with the dodge tool. What do you think?

48780324.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
oooppppss I forgot to fix the white on her sweather ....grrr You can clone or use the healing too in cs2 on that thought Hans :>)))

D

dbirdsong

Gale said:
oooppppss I forgot to fix the white on her sweather ....grrr You can clone or use the healing too in cs2 on that thought Hans :>)))

I think they are suppose to be there Gale.. The kind of look like small rhinestones.

Gale said:
gordon thier complections thier are light.

Gee that may be Gale but almost anyone I know if given the choice between a light complexion and a slight tan will take the latter. I also like the color of her sweater better in my version and would guess that this is closer to the original. When in a shaded area it is always weighted towards blue and needs warming up some. Just my opinion however.

hans said:
I'm a dummie with people pictures so anyone?

fn-08.jpg

Far from junk, Hans, but it could use some editing.

First, aspect ratio. There's no way she could put the picture into a standard frame. I've recropped it as a 5X7. That meant I had to cut off their feet, but they aren't important to the composition, and the faces, which are, become more prominant as a result.

Then, color balance. There's much to much green, so I used the color balance menu, and shifted the greens towards magenta.

Finally, clean up. I cloned in some black, to eliminate the bright area at frame right, and cloned over the two bright white dots on the girl's sweater.

original.gif

Jay Luto said:
Frank,

I think you went a bit too far with magenta. Her face looks like her sweater now :)

Thanks, Jay. That's just what I was trying to accomplish :wink:.

Seriously, perceptions can vary, based on monitor and calibration. I was trying to explain the concept of the color balance menu and demonstrating the crop. The appropriate degree of shift should be left to the artist's eye.

K

Ken-L

Your last rendition is certainly worth giving to her..... if you play with it some more, that's okay too, but either way, I would say to give it to her, because I don't think they could have done any better themselves anyway and will appreciate the memento.

My take, also a 5x7 crop, color balanced to +20 red, +15 blue, cloned out 2 bright spots on sweater, and cloned out bright area adjacent to guy's head left, convert to sRGB.
Original:
fn-08.jpg

Tweaked:
original.gif

One last thing. If you do not crop out their legs, clone out the debris around their feet. The dark background is inconsequential but with the trash on the ground it looks like they're in an alley. If it were me, I'd crop off their legs to yield a standard 4x6 or 5x7 print so she can frame it.

Rich

Thanks all,yuo've been a great help,left me certainly puzzled to crop or not ,WB adjustment for sure and clone the background also

Sorry for the late reply ,was away for a few days.....

Real Name
Heiko
Hans,

It's definitely a good idea to give the picture. All suggestions here are good, and so are the versions from the fellow members. I personally prefer Gordon's version and agree with him about the warm suntan he gave them. But you should be the judge.

Latest threads

Top Bottom