Advice on portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by cincyMAT, Oct 24, 2005.

1. I want to do a portrait of a friend similar to the style shown below (not my photo). How do you think this was accomplished? Makeup? Photoshop? Planned overexposure (about 2 stops my guess)?

[​IMG]

My sincere thanks to the oringinal model and photographer (xposurephoto)

2. Hi Mark,

This image is done in Photoshop. I would start with Scott Kelby's book, Photoshop CS for Digital Photographers. He gives many step by step tutorials where one can learn to use layers and masks to accomplish many tasks like the one you have shown. This is a B&W conversion (which Scott also shows) with the color of the eyes changed to this vibrant green and the lips painted in with the bright red.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Mark,

It's a cool shot and I can see why you want to try it. If you can, let us know how it turns out!

4. I've got Scott's book and have been experimenting to learn the skills required. However a little make up applied by a competent make up artist wouldn't hurt. :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts.

5. I'm looking forward to giving this a try. My goal is to shoot my friend with her four cousins aranged like pinwheel/flower from above using this technique.

I'll post my results. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'd guess the photog used all three techniques you mentioned. Your planned photo sounds exciting!

7. Hi

It is not to hard to achieve this. Just take it as your normally photograph. Use your own conversion to black and white.

Now you have the face in black and white. You could make the photosofter if you want is all to your own taste. Now make a new layer and call it lips.
    Now select the color you want the lips to be like dark red or pink or whatever you think is nice. (be in rgb mode) And use in color HSB mode. Now select the color for the lips and use the sliders to get the right colour.

Now paint on the new layer the lips in the select colour. You could use the eraser tool to perfectionise the painted lips on the lips layer. Now use the blend modes to suit what you find the best. Try for the lips layer color burn maybe you like that effect.

Now make another new layer and call it eyes. And now do the same as you did with the lips but choose now a colour that you want to use for the eyes. And paint on the new layer and choose a blending mode that fits your needs.

The next steps are that you make a layer for the eyebrows and maybe find a hair brush on internet to get better effects for the eyebrowhairs.

And finally make a layer with 50% gray fill and use some dodging and burning to get better shadows to your needs. Then put all the opacities of the layers to your needs and then merge all layers. And use curves to bring out some more of the photo's contrast. And use selective colour to tweak the used colours for example the green of they eye or the red of the lips or the black and white colours in the photo.

And your finished and could have a result like the photo you showed.

Sorry for the fast tutorial and i hope it makes sense. It is basic way of editing a photo to your results. There will be better or different ways for sure like all roads lead to Rome!

Greetings and post your try or results if you can,
    Vince

8. vincebus,

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm going to try it on some old photos for practice. I'm settng a date for the initial shoot tomorrow. I'll post a photo for critique sometime next week.

9. Look if you just get the photo right that you want to use for the effect what you showed. Then let me know if you need help on that raw file. And i am glad to help you out with the effect.

Greetings,
    Vince