Advice on protecting offsite property

JLH

Good to hear this finally came to an end, its been a long road. Its amazing what some people will do showing no regard for anyone but themselves. Too bad there is no easy legal path to go after them for damages for the time they squatted in your house. A good friend of mine owns rental properties and has a hundred stories of the kind of BS people will pull in someone else's house while they are living in it.

We are in the process of getting the house ready to show for sale.
There is a lot of my sister-in-laws furniture still there.
Beds, dressers, patio furniture, garden equipment and even some miscellaneous "junk"
We tried calling a few of the charities that pick up things like this between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
To our surprise many said their warehouses were quite full of donations for the holidays and could not accept any more right now. I'm hoping that has changed now that Christmas is here and gone. I'll plan on making another few calls. If any of you have some recommendations in the Miami Florida area please let me know. We had a couple of the "junk hauling" companies and I think they are quite expensive for gathering items that they will take and sell for profit.

UPDATE!! Feb. 1, 2021

Just thought I'd let everyone know of the latest developments.
Deed to the property has been transferred to my wife by the Probate Judge.
Our Real Estate agent has a buyer for the house.
They placed a nice deposit and we are currently in escrow with the sale.
Something that came up in closing that I was truly surprised about.
There were some liens placed on the property which were absolutely no fault of my wife's sister.
Two for a friend that had visited her house.
No dog license for their pet or proof of vaccinations.
Wasn't that much for these violations.
Two for parking violations in front of the house for a commercial vehicle.
My wife's sister did not own a commercial vehicle or know anyone that did and may have visited her. My guess is someone visiting one of her neighbors parked in front of her house.
These were $450 each.
All in all a little over $1k in liens.
I do not know of any state that puts a lien on the property instead of the dog's owner or the owner of the vehicle.
Hopefully we will have some closure to this soon.

Real Name
Carl
I'm glad your saga is coming to a close! Congratulations! It has been a long and drawn-out process for you and your spouse. Leins? Florida will getcha if they can! Like you seem to have done, better to pay than spend a multiple of the lein fighting it in court! 👍 I hope things go well for you from here on out!

Carl, we are finally starting to sleep a little better as well.
As far as the liens, my wife and her sister spoke at least 2 days a week and often for hours.
I would have thought something would have been mentioned.
With her sister gone now there is absolutely no way to verify anything.
Where I really thought we might run into some problems was with her car.
In Florida, you are not able to obtain insurance on a vehicle in which the registered owner is deceased. So there was a short period of time when the vehicle was not insured but not being driven either. Had someone decided to take that car for a ride the numerous cameras they have in Florida would have scanned the license plate and determined there was no insurance on it. That is determined in a matter of nanoseconds and police are alerted to the vehicle's location. I think we will just consider ourselves fortunate that these were the only liens on the property.

In Florida, you are not able to obtain insurance on a vehicle in which the registered owner is deceased. So there was a short period of time when the vehicle was not insured but not being driven either. Had someone decided to take that car for a ride the numerous cameras they have in Florida would have scanned the license plate and determined there was no insurance on it. That is determined in a matter of nanoseconds and police are alerted to the vehicle's location.

When I was executor of my aunt's estate also in Florida, her daughter drove the car, which belonged to the estate but was uninsured. The estate's lawyer called the daughter into his office and gave her two choices: stop driving the car or he calls the police and has her arrested for theft of the car.

Had that happened with today's camera technology, she would be stopped very quickly once the camera's caught the license plate, matched it with insurance records and discovered to be uninsured.

Yes this saga has indeed ended.
The sale of the house closed on Friday Feb 12.
A little over 10 months since my wife's sister passed away.
My wife and I came in contact with a lot of very nice people from the state of Florida.
Once the travel situation settles down we hope to visit there and meet a lot of the great people we came in contact with along the way. We are not very big fans of how the state seems to give squatters rights that other states wouldn't even think about. The individuals who helped through a difficult time are definitely a class act in our eyes.

I am not familiar with the state's laws, but unless you have the Spanish law for unwanted guests, a normal police call should be more than enough. At least this is what I've read on https://waymanandlong.co.uk/new-services/property-law/conveyancing-prices/ . We attended to a super strange case last summer in Spain. We rented an AirBnB apartment for our holidays. One day, the owners of the neighboring flat returned from a trip, and surprise! some guys entered their apartment and started living there. We told them to call the police, but looks like in Spain, there is a law that permits people who enter an apartment to become the owners. Isn't it stupid? Since then I am so afraid of strangers hehe.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom