Advice on TC's: 1.4 or 1.7 for kids sports?

Help please!! I am thinking of adding a Nikon 1.4 or 1.7 TC to my 80-200mm AF-S. I shoot with a D2Hs. I will be shooting kids sports--T-ball, soccer, football. The t-ball that I'm shooting right now is held at 6:00PM, so light is okay but falls off during the game. I'm leaning toward the 1.4 because I understand that the image quality is better and also I would only be giving up one stop. However, the added reach of the 1.7 really does seem like it would be handy. What do you guys and gals think?

Given the time of day and activity, I'd suggest the 1.4. The 1.7 of course will have a better reach but you may need to go to a higher ISO to stop the action.

No correct answer, It really depends on how close you are and how much light you have. I have the 1.4, but the 1.7 works well. You lose a little sharpness and an f stop, but you'll be at 340mm.

PaulC

Help please!! I am thinking of adding a Nikon 1.4 or 1.7 TC to my 80-200mm AF-S. I shoot with a D2Hs. I will be shooting kids sports--T-ball, soccer, football. The t-ball that I'm shooting right now is held at 6:00PM, so light is okay but falls off during the game. I'm leaning toward the 1.4 because I understand that the image quality is better and also I would only be giving up one stop. However, the added reach of the 1.7 really does seem like it would be handy. What do you guys and gals think?

Given the time of day and activity, I'd suggest the 1.4. The 1.7 of course will have a better reach but you may need to go to a higher ISO to stop the action.
True about the higher iso but i'm thinking i'll be okay with the d2hs.

No correct answer, It really depends on how close you are and how much light you have. I have the 1.4, but the 1.7 works well. You lose a little sharpness and an f stop, but you'll be at 340mm.

PaulC
I hate to lose sharpness. I wish I had a few more megapixels to crop but I only have 4...not much to work with!

The 1.7 loses 1.5 stops of light, which is only 1/2 stop down from the 1.4 TC. This means that wide open with your 80-200f/2.8 would be at f/4.8 instead of f/4 with the 1.4 TC. That in exchange for 340mm vs 280mm at full zoom. It's all a compromise... If it wasn't, you'd be shooting a 300/f2.8 at f/2.8 and would have no issue, and it would cost at least twice as much (another compromise...)... :smile:

That said, the image quality is bit more degraded with the 1.7 than with the 1.4, as long as you can live with the slower auto-focus, but is Ok (for my standard) if stopped down a bit further (f/5.6 to f/8). In the end, you probably want both TCs. Start with the one that gets you more of what you want (reach or available light). How is that for a wishy/washy answer? :wink:

T

topher04r1

I would go 1.4 ... the 1.7 will slow you down and you will loose to much IQ ...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom