Advice on TC's: 1.4 or 1.7 for kids sports?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by NJDJ, Apr 24, 2007.

1. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    Help please!! I am thinking of adding a Nikon 1.4 or 1.7 TC to my 80-200mm AF-S. I shoot with a D2Hs. I will be shooting kids sports--T-ball, soccer, football. The t-ball that I'm shooting right now is held at 6:00PM, so light is okay but falls off during the game. I'm leaning toward the 1.4 because I understand that the image quality is better and also I would only be giving up one stop. However, the added reach of the 1.7 really does seem like it would be handy. What do you guys and gals think?

2. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    Come on folks...11 views and no opinions???

3. Given the time of day and activity, I'd suggest the 1.4. The 1.7 of course will have a better reach but you may need to go to a higher ISO to stop the action.

4. No correct answer, It really depends on how close you are and how much light you have. I have the 1.4, but the 1.7 works well. You lose a little sharpness and an f stop, but you'll be at 340mm.

PaulC

5. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    True about the higher iso but i'm thinking i'll be okay with the d2hs.

I hate to lose sharpness. I wish I had a few more megapixels to crop but I only have 4...not much to work with!

6. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Go with the 1.4...IMO the 1.7 degrades the image quality too much.

7. The 1.7 loses 1.5 stops of light, which is only 1/2 stop down from the 1.4 TC. This means that wide open with your 80-200f/2.8 would be at f/4.8 instead of f/4 with the 1.4 TC. That in exchange for 340mm vs 280mm at full zoom. It's all a compromise... If it wasn't, you'd be shooting a 300/f2.8 at f/2.8 and would have no issue, and it would cost at least twice as much (another compromise...)... :smile:

That said, the image quality is bit more degraded with the 1.7 than with the 1.4, as long as you can live with the slower auto-focus, but is Ok (for my standard) if stopped down a bit further (f/5.6 to f/8). In the end, you probably want both TCs. Start with the one that gets you more of what you want (reach or available light). How is that for a wishy/washy answer? :wink:

8. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    This is helpful folks...I'm leaning toward the TC-1.4

9. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

I would go 1.4 ... the 1.7 will slow you down and you will loose to much IQ ...

10. You might have a look at this thread. The OP intended to shoot with a D2X and a 70-200/2.8 VR, but I think most of the discussion is germane to your situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.