1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Advice on which lens to rent

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by wloneill, Apr 18, 2011.

1. wloneill

wloneill

Jun 6, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    My wife and I will be making a trip to Yellowstone in June. I own a 70-200 VRI lens and a TC 17 E teleconverter. I probably need something a bit longer for the trip. I was thinking about renting either the 300 2.8 VRII or the 200-400 4.0 VRII lens. I am leaning towards the 300 because it is a bit easier to travel with but would be interested in hearing other thoughts. Feel free to suggest a different lens if you think I would be better suited. I am not a professional, just someone who would like to have some memorable photos to enjoy. Thanks in advance.

2. sambo.

sambo.

Mar 20, 2011
    Australia
    i'd suggest the 200-400 over the 300 prime.

those 300/2.8s are chunky and get rather heavy when lugging it around for the day. the zoom, while roughly the same weight, will be far more flexible.

besides, how badly do you rekon you'll NEED that f2.8?

3. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I agree with Sambo.

The reason you want long glass for Yellowstone is wildlife, correct? If so, then the 200-400 (alone or in combination with the TC17) is going to serve you better than the 300/2.8.

4. Joves

Joves

Feb 10, 2009
    Nowhereland
    Make me number 3 for the 200-400. The extra reach will benefit you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.