Advice please (child/baby pic)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hans, May 14, 2005.

1. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    This is the first time I "shot"a picture of children,please give me some feedback how to improve

This one is with the x 17-55dx sb800 bounced against the ceiling
    I know the background is a little messy.....

[​IMG]

2. Hans,

I understand the instinct to bonce the flash off the ceiling. That works well if you are further away from the subject. For a shot close like this one I prefer to put the diffuser on the front of the flash. That is what I do around the house and such.

Enjoy,
    Scott

3. Hans, I can't understand what you have done here. Based on the dark shadows it apprears that your flash was below the level of your lens. Normally when you bounce flash it helps eliminate the dark shadows in the background where in this case it has actually increased them. You also have a real hot spot on the boys arm which again says this was not a bounce flash but rather a strait on flash.

What were your camera setting when making this flash picture? Was the flash in iTTL? The kids are darling but the harshness of the flash ruins the effect.

4. Hans,

Was the ceiling flat or sloped?

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Shadow pattern certainly doesn't look like ceiling bounce to me, though Jeff (Klofft) may be onto something with the sloped ceiling idea.

6. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Jeff the ceiling was flat

Settings :
    1/60 f4.5
    -0.7ev
    Red eye reduction
    balanced i-TTL
    No auto flash comp.

I used the diffuser that comes with the sb 800

Here's another

[​IMG]

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wau, my forte (though I'm not much good at it!)...

I love shooting children. In your first example, the flash actually looks like it was off camera to the left, or shoe mounted, perhaps pointing straight up, which in effect points it to a wall when in portrait orientation?

The second shot looks more like a typical bounce shot.

In the first shot, I love the lighting effect on the girl's face, and I also love the interaction with the baby. Seems that you were too close though, and blew out the baby's white shirt. I'd either change the shirt color to a darker one, or crop a little tighter so the blown portion doesn't show up in the shot.

The second one he looks a bit uncomfortable. I'm guessing he's not at the age where he can sit by himself yet? I've used props when I did this - things like stuffed animals for them to lean on and anything and everything. I have quite a few with my daughther mounted on a watermellon, a bag of nuts, and even a 1g water jug.

It also looks a bit underexposed, maybe like 1/3 stop?

Here's a bounce shot (off the ceiling) that I need to rework - seems to have a bit of a yellow cast:

[​IMG]

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    :oops: I'm thinking "Hey! Now there is some nice bright sunny color! I like it."

Then I read your caption. :cry: :shock: :(

9. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

Too much distracting items in the shot (plus I agree with Gordon - from the position of the shadows there is no way the flash was bounced off the ceiling). For more ideas on shooting babies have a look at my website, specifically at the baby pages:-

http://www.carolsteele.co.uk/pages/babies.html

10. Hans,

Why the -.7 ev?

11. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Jeff

No part. reason I came from outside to shoot the whole family
    forgot to check it.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Ahh, the diffusion dome. In that case most of the light hitting the kids is coming directly from the flash, not the ceiling, becuase it looks like you're pretty close to them judging from the perspective and the diffusion dome sends light in all direction (including forwards). You probably would have gotten better results in the particular case with pure ceiling bounce (flash head pointed straight up, no diffusion dome).

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Jeff,
    Thanks for that info about the diffusion dome..I had no idea about that...I use the dome often and never considered that it would go in all directions.

Thanks,

Gaye

14. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Jeff

I'm with Geejay,gonna try it

Thanks for the feedback