1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Advice please: what Kind of tablet for CS3

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by andreasb, Sep 27, 2008.

1. I figured this would be a good forum for this question. I need to help my sister inlaw get a tablet for work in CS3. She does a lot of her artwork by hand then scans it, ads labels and text for products . She would like to use a pen for tracing and selecting images erasing etc.

So she asked me what Kind of tablet to buy, and I said, I dont quite know, but that I would ask people who knew....

I have somewhere heard of screens that have tablet built in so to say, any idea what brand? Are they any good?

Recommendations and avoids?

Thanks everyone!

2. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Ooooh, I'm listening. I need one too :) 

3. I have a Wacom Intuos3 6x8 .....love it :smile:

4. I'm wondering this very thing myself. Is a Bamboo fun good enough for general photo editing? I know it has about half the lines per inch resolution and about half the pressure sensitivity levels, but does the non-graphic designer or non-painter really need over 5K lines of resolution or over 1000 levels of pressure sensitivity to edit their photos? I like the larger tablet size of the intuos, but I like the price of the Bamboo fun.

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I'd like one too so very interested in responses. I can't imagine I need one of the same quality of a graphic designer etc.....

6. The screen that you write-on is the Wacom Cintiq. It comes in several sizes and is expensive but fantastic. You can read about it on this site as well as about the other Wacom tablets.

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm?CMP=KNC-google&HBX_PK=cintiq+tablet&HBX_OU=50&gclid=CPLf8ZT4_pUCFQOjFQodCwUhEA

I attended a seminar at B&H given by Dan Johannessen from Wacom (Photoshop Basics with a Wacom Tablet Featuring the Cintiq and Intuos). He did not reccomend the Bamboo for photographers. The Intuous 3 either 6X8 or the smaller one are good choices.

After reviewing the site please feel free to post your additional qustions about this, I have a great deal of info in my files and have used a Wacom for years.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  7. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
  8. kenyee

kenyee

Jan 12, 2008
    Boston, PRofMA
    ditto Wacom Intuos 6x8 for me...seems a perfect size.
    The Cintiq is great if you can splurge...

9. Yep, me too! LOVE mine! :biggrin:

10. I was also looking for a tablet a while back. After doing some research, I got the Intuos3 6x8" tablet. However, after a day or so, I realized it was a little small when working on large images on my 24" monitor. I returned it and bought the 9x12" Intuos3. It is a large tablet, and if you have the space (and a large monitor), I'd recommend it highly.

11. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

I think it is "good enough" for photo editing but maybe not good enough for drawing original artwork. If the lines per inch resolution is down a bit then you just zoom in closer. For example when I am removing dust from scanned film I'll zoom in until the dust speck is an inch tall on my screen. But you can't draw that way. Photographers mostly don't freehand draw, they just point or trace.

But for drawing you want the higher price intious not for it's extra resolution but for the pen angle and rotation sensor. The Bamboo only senses pressure. But of you want to paint with an airbrush you need to control the direction of the spray. Or if using a flat nib pen (or flat brush) rotation angle matters.

12. Same here. One of the best things I've bought for my photography habit...uh, I mean hobby.

13. And I have a Wacom Intuos 3 4x5. Does the job for me. My monitor is 17" but if you use a larger monitor, maybe the larger 6x8 size would be better.

14. Same here, I have them on two computers

15. Intous 3 A5 wide, i tested a larger, but since im not painting i felt it to be to big.

16. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I had an Intuos tablet - the small one - but I could never get the hang of it. Then when the new Cintiq 12WX came out I bought one, and I love it. Working directly on the image is so much more intuitive.

-- Russ

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.