1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by cajun angel, Jul 30, 2009.

1. I posted a few butterfly photos in the "other animals" forum and so far, no actual critique on them - or what may help me improve. Because I'm planning to go back to Hagerman and try for more, I'd appreciate any tips ya'll may have. Here's where you can see the photos, also can be seen on my flickr acct. I think most of my photos were shot with my 300mm f4 with a 1.4 TC attached. I didn't know which kenko to use! And thanks in advance!

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=237540

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Well, I'm heading out in the morning to go back up to Hagerman. I'm posting this one photo just for the "thrill of it." I was afraid to crop too much. I'm going to experiment with Larry's suggestions using my 300mm f4 with the 20+36mm kenkos stacked and then the 12+36mm stacked. I don't know how close I have to be to the butterflies, but at least I'll hopefully be on the right track. Just don't know how to handle those butterflies that flutter constantly - like that giant swallowtail! Anyway, if it's not raining, we should have a fun day!

3773992620_7f467ff7c9_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Nice sharp image! Looking forward to seeing your images.

4. Thanks! I hope I can come home with even better photos tomorrow! I'm planning to use my kenkos on my 300mm f4.

5. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    You should try shooting with them and without. Experiment - that is how you learn what you like and don't like. Most of all have fun:) 

6. very anxious to see how the tubes work. I think I have the economy model Kenkos

7. You probably have the same as I do 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm. I'm planning to stack them in 2 combos and see what I get.

8. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Great image!!!

9. I think this is a beautiful image Dianne. Good luck with your shoot.

10. Thanks ya'll! Yesterday's shoot almost wasn't. There just wasn't much around the refuge! When I did manage to find a butterfly that would sit still long enough, I'd have problems getting my tripod on steady footing and then focusing. I got really frustrated when I got FEE blinking. Didn't have my manual with me so didn't know what my issue was. Bet from now on, that manual will be in my bag! Today will be spent cleaning my lenses and gear.

11. This is a pretty neat looking photo. I have found that with the Sigma 150 I can get close enough to where I am chopping off parts of the butterfly. Wish I could use the tripod more where I shoot - but you can not. The things just flit around here and there to much.

Mike

12. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    I think it's a really great shot. The blue sky is perfect, too, and you don't always get a pretty sky. The detail is nice and sharp and the color is well controlled, even the highlights. Nice job!

13. Thanks Mike! How well I know those butterflies do not sit still for long! I got so frustrated, I got into some very sticky mud. Had a hard time getting it off my Columbias! I'm going to be trying to find some places closer to home. As much as I love Hagerman, it's a 1 1/2 hour drive one way and then all the driving around in the refuge. It will be much better when Fall Migration starts!

Thanks! That gives me enough encouragement to get out and find more places to shoot at that are closer to home!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.