Advice please

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hans, Feb 7, 2005.

1. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Shot these very early this morning,noticed them to late so shot only the back of them
    The camera was in manual s1/50 f5 when I heard these birds I dialed up the speed to 1/1000 didn't check just fired away,so they came out dark,this is what i did in PS raw,pushed the exposure with 2.3 but not pleased with the result.anyone here who can give me any advice?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. What aspect are you not pleased with? Were these adult birds, all white, or juveniles which tend more to gray? Is it the color, or what? Have you tried to convert these using either Capture or Raw Magick? If you would like I'd be happy to give them both a go for you. Let me know, I can take arbitrarily large emails.

3. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Bill

They look messy,I will E-mail them toyou,they are dark!!

4. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Bill
    Will you mail me your E-mail adress so i can sent thenm to you

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hans birds

Hi Hans,

I think you did a great job on the flying birds. Not easy. Beautiful Light also.

How is Nena.

Regards
    Gale

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hans....

On a scale of 1 to 10, these are at least a 6. I have seen many, many posts that folks are very proud of that are less than 3's. I personally would like to get shots just like these.

You should be proud.... :p

Frank

7. HI Hans ...

Well, what were you expecting going to 1/50 to 1/1000 of a sec ?

It was obviously going to be underexposed. Brigning up the exposure also carry a lot of noise and parasites with it.

Maybe Auto ISO would have helped.

8. I would be more concerned about how to avoid this in the future. Here are a few ideas for what they are worth:

1. You probably only need 1/500s for this type of photo, so you can save an f-stop there.

2. When I am walking about I keep my camera in manual, usually wide open and the exposure set to incident light. When a bird suddenly appears, if I am shooting against a sky like yours I'll open up 1 to 1.3 stops by adjusting the shutter 3-4 clicks. Since the lens is already wide open I know I am shooting as fast as possible. Pre-adjust your ISO accordingly.

3. Alternatively you can set your camera to aperture priority and make a quick +1.3 EV adjustment and fire away.

4. If you pan as you shoot you can lower the shutter speed even more if some wing blur is acceptable. 1/60s is quite realistic.

Not bad results all things considered. Remember - be prepared!

9. Hmm, I guess I'd best fix my profile so my email shows up.

retief@deweydrive.com is the easiest one....

10. #3 is what I normally do, tried shutter priority for a bit and was NOT a happy camper. I need to work more on #4, jsut in general, ignoring the 1/60th :wink: .

Good advice, Rory.

11. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thanks everybody for the advice,tried it this afternoon it 's gonna work