Advice: used vs grey 28mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Rich Gibson, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Well, my LLD has come out of remission. I started out with a 35mm f/1.4 AIS and moved to a 28mm f/2 AIS. I use these for low light portrait, museum, ruin, castle, etc. work.

Recently Ron Reznick posted a number of shots from Rome using the 28mm f/1.4. I know Gale swears by it and what with our going to Rome next spring Ron's pictures really impressed me...so of course LLD reared its ugly head! (of course, I understand buying a better lens won't guarantee my work will improve). I'm considering buying either a used one from KEH or a grey market new one. I wondered if any of you would care to share your opinions vis-a-vis the two choices. The grey new one will cost about $150 more than the used USA one from KEH.

I've purchased several used lenses (28, 35, 28-70, 85 and 300) and so far they've been fine. Of course they have no warranty but that really doesn't bother me much. I got to thinking, then why not get a 28mm f/1.4 grey lens. How about it...what is the down side of getting the new grey one, if any?

Thanks, Rich

2. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Go Gray.

Rich,

I bought a gray market 28 1.4 from B&H. It was much less expensive than the USA imported lens. The savings are enough so that if it ever needed a repair, I was still going to come out ahead. This is a very simple lens with few things to go wrong and with a B&H 2 week return policy and 1 year warranty I felt pretty confident. ebay is the other alternative. But, with the price of a used 28 1.4 in excellent condition on ebay coming so close to the Gray market price -- without any warranty or return policy -- the B&H gray market was an easy choice.

No regrets here.

3. My policy has been that for the more complex pro zooms, I want the five year warranty. But for the more simple designs, I will buy gray market or used.

Ron's photos would definitely cause me to want that lens were I headed to Rome. I will look forward to your photos.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Same thinking for me, a non-AFS prime IMHO isn't likely to develop the problems that something like the 70-200vr might. Also keep in mind most reputable vendors will give you a one-year warranty for import through them (B&H does).

A little while back the 85 1.4 was virtually impossible to get from a US retailer, either US or import. I ordered one from HKSupplies.com, since the feedback from them at places like DPR was consistently good (lot of Aussies in particular seem to buy from them, savings are huge compared to buying from Aussie dealer). Anyway, the lens arrived without problem and works just fine. When recording the serial number for insurance purposes I noticed it actually has a US serial number. No US warranty papers, but even so I should be able to get it serviced by Nikon if something were to happen (unlikely though that may be).