Advice wanted - Manfrotto Neotec

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Luckynp, Jan 1, 2006.

1. I just missed a shot of the new moon in a glorious sunset because I was struggling with my old Manfrotto tripod ( not even levers, just screw fasteners) and couldn't get it up in time. By no means the first time this sort of thing has happened to me!

Does anyone have any experience with the Manfrotto Neotec, and if so what head would you recommend? I'm considering a 222 grip action head.

2. papa85

papa85 Guest

Hi Mike,
    I had a Neotec tripod and I ended up bring it back. I found it to be a very unsteady tripod. with a 70-200 lens mounted you look thru the viewfinder and you can see movement.the wind was a problem. I Think it was due to the reverse sizing of the legs ( large on top and thinner on the bottom.) Idea was great but will not work for me in real life. My advice is not to buy it. I ended up buying the Gitzo 1325 and will never look back. It is rock solid.:Whistle:

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I have a neotech monopod, which holds a monfrotto gimbal head (about 3-4lbs)my 400/2.8 AF-S, d2Hs and TC admirably.
    It is a joy to use and I wouldn;t live without it, however I have not tried the tripods

4. Thanks Tony and Twig. Your advice against the Neotec seems very definite, Tony, and I'm inclined to take it.