Advise on Markins

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by airbiscuit, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Hello guys,

Currently I'm setting my eyes on the M10 and M20 ballheads from Markins where I'm going to use it with my D200 with the 70-200 VR. But before I make any move, I would like to get some inputs from some of the Cafes' users here on both of the ballheads.

Apart from the bigger size, able to handle more weight etc etc, what other differences are there between the two?

Maybe, for example, "smoother" movement of the ballheads? If there are any more, I would love to hear it from you guys.

Another thing is that I browsed through Markins website and it seem that Markins do not make/sell L-plate. If I were to get myself an L-plate for my D200 (with its battery pack) which brand or make should I buy?

2. strawman

strawman

Mar 24, 2006
    Missoula, MT
    First, if the largest lens you'll be using it with is the 70-200, just go with the M10. It'll be more that sturdy enough. I've owned both and the M10 is more than adequate unless you have larger telephoto lenses. Other than the differences you mentioned, they are basically identical.

You can get an L bracket from either Really Right Stuff or Kirk Enterprises. Again, I've owned both and find that they're both excellent. Kirk is a bit less expensive.

3. yatesd

yatesd

Nov 5, 2006
    York,PA
    It's not that big of a deal, but if you want to order from one place Nikonians sells both the Markins and the Kirk stuff.

I personally own the Markins Q3 and believe all the models are equally smooth. What you primarily gain is a larger "sweet spot" using the friction control on heavier lenses. It appears the M10 is more than sufficient for most people and I am happy with the Q3 for my lightweight setup.

4. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I have the Markins M10. I've had no trouble with it and my 300/f4 (although that is usually with a wimberly sidekick). It should be able to handle the 70-200 easily.
    I think Kirk sells some L brackets for the D200. That's where I got the one for my D70.

5. The Marking M10 is a beautiful ballhead, both in craftsmanship, and in ease of use.

You will have no problems with the 70-200mm, and I have even used it with my 400/2.8 in a pinch.

6. Thanks for the replies guys.

Wow a 400 2.8? If that is the case, I guess if I do get me hands on the 300 2.8 VR, I'm all good to go with the M10.

So the M10 it is! With some QR plates for my D200 with its battery pack and for sure some lens plate for my 70-200 VR and hopefully an L-plate.

Now to find some spare cash lying around...

7. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    I suggest geting the L version. Right hand on cam, left hand for adjustments.

cheers
    afx

8. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Thanks for starting this post. This is exactly my delema. Same camera and lens plus a 300f4. I was'nt sure between the 10 or the 20 ethier. The M10 should be fine. As a side note could I ad some sort of gimbal rite on to the Markins 10 and use a larger lens? say a 400, Would the ball head be the weak spot?

9. A Wimberly Sidekick www.tripodhead.com works fine on the M10. In a pinch I have used the 400/2.8 and often use the 300/2.8 with the Wimberly. I have also used both just on the head. You need a decent tripod, the ballhead is not the weak point.

10. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Allan thank for the info, helps to clear the thought process.

11. May I know what is your current tripod?

12. After recent experiences, I say go for the biggest possible head.

I just upgraded to a Novoflex Classic Ball 5 (almost 900g!) and am in ballhead heaven since.....

Picture quality and handling are much improved (maybe except the weight :Crunk:)

13. I am with Michael on this. After working with a few OK ball heads, I ended up with a super heavy duty Kaiser. Yes, it is big and heavy (over 3 lbs :eek:), but silky smooth even with the heaviest loads and rock solid. I have a few heavy Ai-S tele primes and shoot up to 400mm for now. I know that this head will take whatever I throw at it. I would not think of changing it for anything.