Aeshna grandis pt 2: Male

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Hello again!

Here´s the part 2 of Brown Darner series I shot on saturday. This time we have a male.

First I saw him he was hiding deep in vegetation
    2-130908078.

Really like the blue in his eyes
    2-130908081.

2-130908123.

2-130908138.

2-130908133.

2-130908145.

This last pair of pics shows the difference between a male and a female (female has a bent abdomen tip which isn´t normal but then again quite common).
    2-130908126.

2-130908197.

Thanks for looking!

2. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    you are the master of macro !

3. Crave

Crave Guest

The ligth is so perfect!!!
    Im just gonna say, i dont like the background in the first 2 pictures, next time warn the guy to land in another place!!!! (its the only thing i can see, becase the pictures are great!)
    The 3 and 8 are my favourite of the serie!!!!!

4. Fantastic shots Jukka

5. Yeah, I know, but you can´t always tell them where they ought to be when found at first... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I don't know what you put in the water up there in Finland. I can never get an Aeshna grandis to sit like that. Always hiding in the grass and very shy. Flies away when you are about 4-5 meters away. Those are some of the best A. grandis shots I have ever seen.

7. Tak Torben!

Well, weather has been cool here lately so they don´t go anywhere. They just sit. Like today, there were one male, I could take him onto my hand. After awhile he shivered his wings about 5 min or so and took off...

So, you can guess why these were photographed in such perfect places :wink:

8. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia
    Excellent shots.

I like the blue spots on the dragonflies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.