AF 200/4 micro with rounded aperture blades?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rvink, Aug 19, 2008.

1. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Hi,
    I'm just trying to sort out a minor detail for my Nikon website: www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html#200

According to a lens catalogue and the Nikon web site, the AF 200/4 micro has a nine-blade rounded diaphragm, so I list the blades as "9r".

I just had a message from someone who has this lens, saying the blades are straight. Can anyone here confirm that? If the blades were rounded I would expect the opening to be more or less circular when stopped to f5.6, becoming more polygonal at smaller settings.

2. Mine is serial #204xxx. It has straight blades.

Larry

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Thanks Larry, looks like the Nikon site is wrong, unless it changed later on - yours is fairly early.

4. I can't actually find a serial number on mine (where would it be?) but it also has 9 straight blades.

5. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    #US212506, very shallow "s" curve at f4 less so at 5.6, straight after that.

6. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    It's on the smooth part of the aperture ring on the side opposite the aperture numbers. Very lightly engraved.

7. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    That's normal. Very few aperture blades are dead straight. Most are curved to match the max aperture opening. Lenses with a "rounded" blades are more strongly curved to form a circle when closed down one or two stops, so you get round blurs at wide apertures. As you close dowm more it becomes more polygonal.

Seems the Nikon site is incorrect, unless they are suggesting that because it has 9 blades, the opening is "rounded". There are other lenses with 9 blades, such as the 180/2.8, which are not listed with this feature...

I'll amend my site to and list the 200 micro with just 9 (unrounded) blades.

8. Ah yes, thank you. Mine is #206128.

9. Hi Roland, mine has curved blades and it is #211793.

I cannot remember whether it was purchased from B&H or from Hong Kong.

10. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Mine is US400037 with straight blades. Bought 2 years ago.

11. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    US 300xxx -- straight blades

12. Straight blades on mine (US21045).

Roland, let me take the opportunity to thank you again for your wonderful site. It's a wonderful resource.

13. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Thanks everyone. It seems clear that all AF 200 micros (early and late) are the same. Still not sure why Nikon lists this lens as having rounded aperture blades. I've changed the entry in my database from "9r" (nine rounded) to just "9". Will update the website soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.