AF & AFD Lenses with a Z6 and FTZ adapter:

Back again with another question regarding my collection of AF and AFD lenses, after reading a review I find that these lenses will not autofocus using the FTZ adapter, so what is the purpose of the adapter if only to mount F lenses as opposed to Z lenses. Such a disappointment as my 35 - 70 F2.8 D has been a favourite lens since I bought it and I had hoped to continue to enjoy it on a Z6.

When the Z cameras first came out I think I read that Nikon or a third party was planning a FTZ type of adapter with a focus motor in it. Anyone seen anything on it?

Thanks for the comments, I ordered the Z6 with the 24-70 kit lens and decided to pass on the FTZ adapter, I look forward to taking the camera out to give it a test drive next week, I just hope that it lives up to its reviews, though I have never really been disappointed with any Nikon I have previously owned, I did find the comment about the adapter with the autofocus motor in built to be intriguing, cannot imagine what sort of size and weight that would be!

Nikon adaptor with built in focus motor is wishful thinking.

There was some initial grumble at time of release about lack of AF support for AFD lenses. Old AFD were superseded by AF-S, G and E long time ago, from memory phase out started in mid 2000s.

I found Z lenses to be really excellent from fully open, and this is comparing against Leica, old AFDs were good but usually stopped down.

When I bought my Z6 back at the beginning of 2019 I had two AF-D lenses which I was enjoying using on my D750. I wanted to keep my D750 but wanted all of my Lenses to be compatible with both bodies (with the adaptor for the Z6). So I exchanged my 24mm f2.8 AF-D and 60mm f2.8 AF-D lenses for the "G" equivalents - both new lenses. The 24mm f1.8 G and 60mm f2.8 G are both excellent lenses and fit both cameras and auto focus nicely. I hear lots of nice things about the S lenses but they don't fit my D750 which works nicely with my Panosaurus unit. I tried the Z6 with the Panosaurus but it is a no go situation - that is just one of my reasons for keeping the D750. The Tripod bush on the Z6 is in the "wrong" place. Using the Tripod bush of the FTZ (which I use for normal Tripod use) is also not feasible. So, until I go Zxx Completely I am keeping the G lenses that have served me well for so long. I am toooooo old to be carrying two different sets of lenses around when out and about.

I don't think that there will ever be a NIKON FTZ which will adapt AF-D to S so I think that it is one system or the other and put up with the little annoyances regarding compatibility.

DG

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom