1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AF-assist light isn't working on my D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by xenonsupra, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Whenever I'm in low light or its night time my D300 has trouble focusing. The little AF assist light that normally comes on is not showing up to provide any light. Does anyone know if there is a setting i missed with that turned this off?

EDIT: In the menu, my AF settings are as follows
    a1: shutter
    a2: focus
    a3: 9 point
    a4: normal
    a5: on
    a6: on
    a7: off
    a8: AF51
    a9: on <---i figured this was the control for what I'm trying to do.
    a10: AF-ON

EDIT: Still doesn't work, even in AF-S mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  2. yes there is a setting for it in the menus.

I use a D3, and the AF assist, which has to be attached externally, will only activate in AF-Single. supposedly, it also only works with AF points towards the center of the frame active. I think there where some other overrides as well. possibly in the AF-point selection, try single point focus. your manual should list out the gotchas somewhere.

3. It wont work if you have AF-C selected... Use AF-S and it will be OK...

4. Thanks for the tips, I will give that a try sometime today!

5. Also, are you sure that it's not coming on or is your finger on the grip blocking it?

6. Okay I tried making sure it was on AF-S and that my finger wasn't blocking it. Still not working, I know the bulb isn't bad because it blinks before the timer shots.

7. I also tried all of the focus modes (dynamic, single, etc)

8. I have no other ideas then, I just know that the way I grip it, I block the AF-Assist light quite a lot, not sure whether it's a design flaw or a finger flaw.

9. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    What's the lighting like in the area you're working in? It has to be fairly dark before the AF assist light will come on, even if all the menus and switches are setup properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  10. bigwilly

bigwilly

Oct 19, 2007
    Toronto
    Try moving the focus point to the center one.

11. are you set for focus priority for single-AF?

12. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto

This is absolutely true and the one thing most folks miss: It only works on AF-S with the center focus point selected and even then, the lights in the room must be dimmed for the focus assist lamp to activate.

13. I've had a problem with the TTL cord not putting out the light
    2/3 into a reception and low light, the SC-29 should spit out a light
    nothing. Nikon replace the main circuit board, and then camera same
    deal. I changed flash, changed cords, changed Lens Changed battery in camera and Flash directly on camera NOTHING helps

its got to be something in the software

maybe a sensor getting hot and the TTL light stops working

I had hoped the camera exchange would solve the issue, do not

I have my D2x as back up, and put all my stuff on, worked just fine

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  14. Okay, putting it on AF-s and the focus point in the center seems to fix it. thanks a lot guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.