AF Calibration (no longer needed?)

Real Name
Andy
I love mirrorless.

Awhile ago, my D500 was starting to back focus to the point where it had started to wander out of the adjustable range of AF fine tune values for some of my lenses, so I took it to APS for service. I thought this forum might be interested in the before/after results of a DSLR serviced professionally vs. a Z6.

For those not familiar with Reikan FoCal, the ideal result of an auto-fine tune test using that software is a bell curve. The top of the curve is the value to be set in the camera's AF Fine Tune for that lens. A result other than 0 is fine, as long as a distinct bell curve is formed and focus accuracy is distinctly better near the top.

Here are the Reikan FoCal results for the D500 before and after the repair by APS.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's the result with the same lens on the Z6, which has neither a mirror nor an AF sensor (in other words, the only micro adjustment variable would be for the lens):
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As you can see, not only is the Z6 a nearly perfect bell curve with the top near zero, the QoF is in a relatively small range (<50 units) for each of the tested AF fine tune settings. By contrast the freshly serviced D500 has a much improved bell curve, but it is centered at +6, and the QoF values at two of the fine tune settings are somewhat scattered (>100 units).

Real Name
Ken
Interesting. I do wish I could mate up my D500 with my E-M1 and get the best of both worlds. And I would be interested in seeing how my D500 plots now that it has been adjusted. I just do not know anybody local who can do it.

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom