1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AF-I versus AF-s speed (400 f/2.8)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Kurt, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    So, if I happen to find a 400 AF-I is it really as fast as the AF-s or close enough?

Anyone with hands on experience with the lens?

2. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Depends on what you intend to photograph. AF-I is slower than AF-S. By how much is determined by what your subject is doing. If you subject is moving fast like shooting football action, the AF-S pops into focus immediately, whereas the AF-I will be almost immediatly. If you have a chance to try any same focal length, one AF-I the other AF-S, that would give you an idea of the difference.

3. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Sports is the intent, use a 300 AF-S now looking to get a bit longer.

4. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Since you already have used AF-S, you'll be disappointed with AF-I on a longer lens.

5. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    I've owned the 400/af-i and now own the af-s II version of same. Sold the af-i because of its weight, with the only other beef being a periodic freeze due to contacts that need to be cleaned. IQ similar enough that I can't discern a difference and autofocus sl. faster with the af-s II.
    Another important consideration: repair. Living in Chicago area, I use Authorized Photo Service. On my last visit, they told me that Nikon's not supplying parts for the af-i's any more. They have some older, unrepairable af-i's they keep around now for salvage purposes.
    Bottom line: if they weighed the same and I was sure I could get the af-i repaired, I'd never pony up the added ~$2.5k for the marginal af speed increase. Not even half that...

Best of luck!
    Dave

6. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    I appreciate all the responses...and will more than likely wait for at least an AFs model if not just pick up a new one.

7. Hi I have had both other than the afi being heavier and the AF being noisier I could see no difference in actual autofocus performance in everyday use, the afi is actually marginally better wide open due to the extra ED glass. Parts are very difficult to come by for the AF-I being a drawback.

Phil.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.