AF/ON and VR

I have autofocus set to AF/ON only in my D300s. I realize that VR is not activated when I autofocus this way. Is VR activated when I half-press the shutter release even though it doesn't focus? I know everybody tells me about hearing something when the VR is working but my hearing isn't so hot any more so I don't hear it anyway.

Bruce

I have autofocus set to AF/ON only in my D300s. I realize that VR is not activated when I autofocus this way. Is VR activated when I half-press the shutter release even though it doesn't focus? I know everybody tells me about hearing something when the VR is working but my hearing isn't so hot any more so I don't hear it anyway.

Bruce

I believe that VR is activated even if you have not yet focused using the AF ON button.

Glenn

You must use the shutter release button to activate VR, the AF-ON button alone will not do it.

What lens? The more recent VR II lenses seem to be quieter; my 70-200 VR I made a slight 'chatter', my 70-200 VR II is silent, as is my 24-120.

As everyone already mentioned, half-pressing the shutter release will activate VR.
But, it's still possible to do so even if you only focus using the AF-ON button.
Just half-press the shutter release after you have acquired focus using the AF-ON button and VR should activate.

I'm confused by this discussion. It's not possible to release the shutter without pressing the button half-way along the way to pressing it all the way. Does one have to press half-way and hold it there momentarily to be able to activate the VR?

I ask because my wife has a VR lens and I may need to let her know about this.

I'm confused by this discussion. It's not possible to release the shutter without pressing the button half-way along the way to pressing it all the way. Does one have to press half-way and hold it there momentarily to be able to activate the VR?

Yes Mike I'm positive that you have to have the shutter half pressed to activate the VR. I shoot with my D700 and 70-200 VR all of the time.

Mike, those of us who are "normal" don't have to worry about this. Since I do the half-press to get focus, VR is already locked in by the time I take the picture.

It's only the ones that have transferred the focus control to a back button that need to think about this. VR doesn't kick on unless you half-press and it takes a short period of time for it to stabilize. Those who do the back button thing and just mash the shutter could take a picture before VR is locked on. Possibly a blurry picture from what I've read. I'm interested in hearing whether this is actually a problem based on the experience of those who shoot this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shutter button must be held 2 or 3 tenths sec to get VR to spool up even if you use AF button.

I can hear mine.

Honestly my 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 60 2.8 , 85 1.4 all AFS new lenses do not even have VR. The 105 2.8 does and I leave it turned off almost always. I don`t need it for flash. You are not supposed to use it for tripod or close up, don`t need it for day light, so what is it good for? Just something to break.

Thank you to Debbie, Omar and Ronald for eliminating my confusion and adding clarity to the topic. By the way, I now also understand why I had a surprisingly low number of sharp images using the 70-200 VR that I was renting a couple of years ago.

Omar, I'm one of the abnormal people who uses the rear button to focus. My wife does the same because she pretty much follows my advice about photographic matters. Now that I think about it, it would be more accurate to say that that's about the only thing that she follows my advice about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to Debbie, Omar and Ronald for eliminating my confusion and adding clarity to the topic. By the way, I now also understand why I had a surprisingly low number of sharp images using the 70-200 VR that I was renting a couple of years ago.

Omar, I'm one of the abnormal people who uses the rear button to focus. My wife does the same because she pretty much follows my advice about photographic matters. Now that I think about it, it would be more accurate to say that that's about the only thing that she follows my advice about.

Don't feel bad Mike I did the same thing ;)

I use the 70-200vrii and never knew about the shutter press vs AF on switch. I use AF on almost exclusively, though my only vr lens is currently the 70-200. I haven't noticed any lost shots due to AF not spooling up quickly enough, but I primarily shoot my toddler with it. He's quick, but not pro sports or BIF fast, so I guess it spools up fast enough for lesser shooting. This good info to have for when he starts soccer, et al next year. Funny how they get faster as we get slower...

Yes, VR is engaged when you half press the shutter button. If you listen carefully, even with AF-ON as your focusing button, you can hear a VR lens whir when you half press the shutter button. Not so for a non-VR lens. You may need a quiet place to hear it, but the whir is definitely there.

Honestly my 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 60 2.8 , 85 1.4 all AFS new lenses do not even have VR. The 105 2.8 does and I leave it turned off almost always. I don`t need it for flash. You are not supposed to use it for tripod or close up, don`t need it for day light, so what is it good for? Just something to break.

It's good (only, IMO) for consumer grade relatively light-weight zooms like 18~xxx even the 70~300 where (a) you tend to hand-hold the lens, and (b) it has a modest max aperture i.e. slower shutter speeds.

Peter

The shutter button must be held 2 or 3 tenths sec to get VR to spool up even if you use AF button.

I can hear mine.

Short glass it matters less. Shooting available light wildlife/sports it's a Godsend.
It's ON with my 70-200 f2.8 VR II, 200 f2 VR, and my 200-400 f4 VR...otherwise
shots like THIS wouldn't be possible for the likes of me. FWIW, I wouldn't buy a lens
over 180mm w/o VR :eek: Have the shots & the sales to prove VR works for me. :biggrin:

D7K/200 f2 shot at ISO3200 f2 1/200th sec. handheld SOOC (effective 300mm)

dcac15d1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's good (only, IMO) for consumer grade relatively light-weight zooms like 18~xxx even the 70~300 where (a) you tend to hand-hold the lens, and (b) it has a modest max aperture i.e. slower shutter speeds.

Peter

Short glass it matters less.

I disagree entirely. Having SR (=VR) for every lens I owned when using Pentax was great! Even with the 24mm/f2. Enabled me to take very low light shots at f2 that there is no way I could have hand-held ordinarily. I just don't understand why people say it's not useful for short fast lenses, it's very useful and something I miss.

As everyone already mentioned, half-pressing the shutter release will activate VR.
But, it's still possible to do so even if you only focus using the AF-ON button.
Just half-press the shutter release after you have acquired focus using the AF-ON button and VR should activate.

+ 1

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

VR is not instantaneous, so if you just punch the shutter button all the way, it may not have corrected for vibration. That said, it may not be instantaneous, but it's awful fast. You don't have to hold the button very long. I like holding the button halfway because punching the button is bad technique anyway: even if VR is not in the picture (pun intended) one should take care to gently depress the shutter button, and holding it halfway for just a split second helps me with that.

...so what is it good for?

Sorry you feel this way... how big of a tripod do you carry on your trips overseas? For me, that tripod stays home, and a shot like this would not be possible:

That was 1/10 sec at 16mm, ISO 1600 and pretty much wide open on my 16-85 VR. You'd get a lot shallower DOF with a fast prime, and an f/2.8 zoom w/o VR would struggle to get this shot -- and find either of these at 16mm and see how much you pay.

Latest threads

Top Bottom