AF-On doesn't activate VR?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steve S, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Just want to confirm my suspicions that using the AF-ON button instead of the shutter button doesn't activate the VR on such lenses, or does it?

2. No, it doesn't.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Phil, that's what I thought. So, if one is switching back & forth between VR & non-VR lenses, it's probably best to select the Shutter/AF-On option instead of just AF-ON.

4. Steve
    It doesnt activate the VR until you press the shutter halfway down

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    You can still use the back button as AF-ON for focus. You just have to remember to hold the shutter button down half way for second or two before full press.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't think so, once you know how it works and adapt it's actually a more powerful combination. This way, you can focus with AF-ON and then activate VR with the shutter half-press, and don't have to worry about AF changing on you just because you had the shutter half-pressed for VR.

7. VR or no VR, it doesn't make sense to lock EV with focus, and depressing shutter typically activates at least one of them on most setups. I have my cam set so that the AE-L/AF-L button locks and holds exposure on the first depress, unlocks on the 2nd. My shutter button will still AF, but if I depress and hold the AF button then AF is locked independantly for those times I need it. It sounds complicated, but it isn't. All the buttons are within the same reach, so with my index finger on the shutter, my thumb can move between EV and AF lock with as much ease as hitting the shutter.