AF on sigma 500/4.5 APO EX with Sigma 1.4 TC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MMarz, Aug 15, 2008.

1. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    After much debate, viewing of image samples, reading stats and reviews I am adding a Sigma 500 f/4.5 APO EX HSM to my arsenal. I think I'll end up with a pretty versatile kit between the 70-200 and 300, both 2.8 APO EX DG HSM's, the 500 and the 1.4x & 2.0 TC's.

I am very happy with the results I get with 300/1.4x combo, and the 300/2.0x combo is totally acceptable but I am lusting for a 500 prime. The Nikon 200-400 VR and the 500 have a third of a stop advantage, and Nikor glass, VR, but the Sigma is a fraction of the price and the copy I am buying is a pristine pre-owned lens. Plus, I think it will be easily sold if I decide to make a change in the future.

Here's my question..

I would expect the 500 + 1.4x TC to defeat AF. Sigma claims it does, and a few posts I have come across support this. I would like to use this combination anyway and having a Katz Eye in both bodies should be a big help. I have read that taping one of the contacts on either the lens or TC allows it AF regardless, but can't find any details on which contact to tape or how exactly the tape should be applied.

Can anyone help with details on how to do this??

2. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If you're using Sigma TC's and Sigma says it wont AF, then the Sigma TC will put your camera into MF and not let you switch to AF when connected to that lens...at least that's what my Sigma 2.0TC does to my Sigma 150mm.

3. The 500/4.5 will AF with a Kenko Pro 1.4.

It will also AF with modified Sigma 1.4 or Nikon 1.4.

4. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, Bill...I am using the Sigma TC's. I believe you to be correct...though I have read in more than a few posts in various forums, that there is a single pin/contact that can be taped (apparently the one that reports the aperture) to allow AF. It's been done, but I can't find any kind of tutorial on how/which..

5. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Here we go.. this is progress.

What I need, Phil, would be details on what "modified" means. If it is non-destructive I would do it to my Sigma TC, otherwise I will source a Kenko. I had one a while back, but never used it, hence I sold it.

6. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Ditto what Phil says. I use mine with a Kenko Pro 300 1.4X TC with no problems. Af is slower than without, but it works.

7. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Michael, please post the "how to" here if you find one.

8. Modifying the Sigma TC is very simple - just tape the last contact point (counter-clockwisely).

There is slightly more work in modifying Nikon TC's, but nothing really difficult :
    http://nikonpages.heymanphotography.com/tcmod/

9. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    You rock!!

Just to be clear.. If I am looking at TC, it would actually be the first contact..or last if I am moving clockwise because it make a diference if it is on the TC to lens side or on the pin (TC to body) side.

Any suggestions on tape type?

Do you know if this will change the aperture value depicted in the viewfinder??

10. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017

11. As you look at it IE TC to lens side, with the pins at the top it is the last pin on the right hand side, a bit of electrical insurlating tape sorts it.Its a bit fiddly to do and only requires a very small bit of tape to do it. Once there it will stay put, do not put it on the side that fits in the camera if it falls out it will go into the shutterbox.

It will not work with a 2 X TC it just hunts and will not lock focus.

The lens will autofocus but on low contrast situations it will hunt a bit the results are very good even wide open.

Aug142008_4532copy.

It will not report the correct exif data or in the viewfinder. I find a modified Nikon TC14E focuses a bit better then the Sigma as it seems to hunt less.

HTP

Regards

Ian

12. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks.. I'd like to explore the "modify" option if it is non-destructive (tape) before buying the Kenko.. I have the two matched Sigma TC's; adding the Kenko (which I had, and sold) would be for such limited use that I'd like to avoid it if possible.

13. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Nice. Now I am excited.

Can you confirm if doing this has any impact on other Sigma lenses? In other words, will it impact the exif or AF of my 300/2.8, 70-200/2.8 or 150 macro??

14. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017

15. No it will report the correct exif and in camera apeture readout with any lens of f2.8 or less. Both your 300mm and 70-200mm will report the correct f4 in the exif and viewfinder. Sigma only disable the autofocus when it takes the apeture to over f5.6.

Ian

16. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Ian..

but see my next post...

17. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I attempted the modification of the 1.4TC... exactly as pictured in the link Phil provided. I covered just the one contact with a piece of painters tape. I mounted my 70-200/2.8 on the 1.4TC, and the combo on my D2X and all I got was a bunch of chatter. The lens snaps to approximate focus and then chatters back and forth..no focus lock.

The D300 chattered slightly less and both bodies had a hard time even on AF-S mode.

Oddly, the 70-200/2.8 reported max aperture as 2.8 with the 1.4 attached..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  18. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    But ... the Sigma 500 HSM f4.5 -while excelent on its own- suffers a lot from using a/any TC , YMMV

19. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
  20. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    We'll see.. I thought the same about adding a 2X TC to my 300/2.8. Maybe the idea of "matched" TC's has some validity.. I find the images with the Sigma lenses and Sigma TC's, taken under the right conditions, wholly acceptable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.