AF or M Focus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loki_D_Wolf, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

So today I had to take behind the scene shots on a rehersal for an upcoming web series show I'm in. Yes, I act but at the same time I do the photos. So when it's not my turn to do lines I'm clicking away (usually at the request of the director).

Anyhoo, I wondered with all the photographers here what do you use the most - Auto Focus or Manual?

I noticed when I was using film back in the day all I had was Manual so I became pretty quick with it. Now that I've gone D-SLR I've seemed to unknowingly depend on Auto Focus. What gives?!

Only recently have I tried to go back to Manual but it's a hard drug to kick.

There is something I've noticed with Auto Focus though - it doesn't focus correctly all the time. Now I'll admit to maybe not knowing every little thing but it's the main reason I'm jumping back to Manual more and more.

I haven't quite figured out why, depending on distance, the AF just doesn't cut it. It seems to be just slightly under focused.

So, what are you outlooks on the whole thing?

2. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

Newer lenses have such a fast focus ratio that I can't focus them manually fast enough to suit me.

Older lenses, no problem.

I suspect that, generally speaking, as AF systems have progressed, that manual focus capabilities of lenses have become less and less important, reserved mostly for the macro shooters. I say this because my mf lenses are easy to get in focus, and my af lenses (that is, those lenses designed to be af, not mf lenses with auto added as an afterthought) are not.

3. Auto focus - almost exclusively. About the only time I ever use manual focus is when I'm doing macro stuff or using my old film camera.

4. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    AF for me

Auto focus here also. My problems with MF on a modern DSLR:
    1. No split image range finder
    2. No ground glass for a better "snap"
    3. Those tiny little viewfinders in APS-C cameras.
    The AF system in the D300/D700/D3 is so good, most of the time I don't need MF.

5. I find my Nikon D80 just nails AF. I just press the shutter button down
    half way several times and the camera cycles through to find the
    best spot. The camera won't fire if it's out of focus.

http://dwayneoakes.zenfolio.com

Take care Dwayne Oakes

6. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

You Must Focus Grasshopper

Thanks for the responses. I have a D50 and have noticed that sometimes the focus doesn't focus correctly. I have been wondering though if it's just a distance thing.

Anyone experience that?

Oh and yes, so far macro is typically manual for me becasue of distance of course. :) 

7. About half the time I will MF and the other half I'll AF. Mostly because half my lenses fall either as an MF lens or an AF lens. However, when my AF lenses are mounted, I'll almost exclusively AF my shots.

God Bless,
    David

8. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    I spend most my time in AF, and occasionally will MF (generally in situations with small DOF's)

9. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    I use mainly manual focus but I do a lot of macro shots (MF only for macro). There are a couple of times where I need manual focus to pick the optimum focusing spot. If AF is capable of doing what I have planned without problems, I'll use it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.