AF-S 300 f/4 vs. AF-S 70-200 f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Tim White, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Tim White

Tim White Guest

Maybe those of you who own and use both can help me out a bit. Which focuses faster? I'm particularly interested in the ability to track fast-moving subjects.

2. Tim,
    I'll go for the 300 f/4:wink:

3. stenbäck

stenbäck Guest

I have owned both and i did not notice any difference in speed.
    On the other hand, my motorsport shoots were mainly in daylight.
    I love them both. I shoot rally, snowmobiles, supermoto and such.
    Fast action i all cases and they both handle it very well.

4. Tim -

They are both very quick to focus. In marginal light, however, the f/2.8 will outperform.

Both are superb!

Eric

5. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    300 f4.0 vs 70-200 f2.8

In my opinion they are very similar in focus speed.

6. Tim White

Tim White Guest

Thanks, folks. I own both and in my experience the 300 f/4 is noticeably quicker. For example, when tracking a motorcycle with the AF-C set to Focus Priority, the 300 will lock on and enable the shutter to release more often. I'm wondering if I need to part with the 70-200 for awhile and let Nikon have a look at it. :confused:

7. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    300/4 AF-S is a stellar perfomer. It _should_ be slower in focus than 70-200/2.8 AF-S due to its close focus abilities (1.5m), but it is nice to hear that it performs so well. I use this lens for close-ups a lot and like it very much!

This one's shot with 300/4: Picture.

And this: Picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  8. Hi Tim,

I have both, and the only time I have tracked fast moving subjects is during a couple Airshows.

I think 70-200 is faster than 300F4. <But if I add the TC14 to 70-200, then the speeds are somewhat similar>

Edit: The above applies to a D200, that's the best body I own.