1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AF-S 300 f/4 vs. AF-S 70-200 f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Tim White, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Tim White

Tim White Guest

Maybe those of you who own and use both can help me out a bit. Which focuses faster? I'm particularly interested in the ability to track fast-moving subjects.

2. Tim,
    I'll go for the 300 f/4:wink:

3. stenbäck

stenbäck Guest

I have owned both and i did not notice any difference in speed.
    On the other hand, my motorsport shoots were mainly in daylight.
    I love them both. I shoot rally, snowmobiles, supermoto and such.
    Fast action i all cases and they both handle it very well.

4. Tim -

They are both very quick to focus. In marginal light, however, the f/2.8 will outperform.

Both are superb!

Eric

5. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    300 f4.0 vs 70-200 f2.8

In my opinion they are very similar in focus speed.

6. Tim White

Tim White Guest

Thanks, folks. I own both and in my experience the 300 f/4 is noticeably quicker. For example, when tracking a motorcycle with the AF-C set to Focus Priority, the 300 will lock on and enable the shutter to release more often. I'm wondering if I need to part with the 70-200 for awhile and let Nikon have a look at it. :confused: 

7. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    300/4 AF-S is a stellar perfomer. It _should_ be slower in focus than 70-200/2.8 AF-S due to its close focus abilities (1.5m), but it is nice to hear that it performs so well. I use this lens for close-ups a lot and like it very much!

This one's shot with 300/4: Picture.

And this: Picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  8. Hi Tim,

I have both, and the only time I have tracked fast moving subjects is during a couple Airshows.

I think 70-200 is faster than 300F4. <But if I add the TC14 to 70-200, then the speeds are somewhat similar>

Edit: The above applies to a D200, that's the best body I own.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.