AF-S or D. . . that is the question.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Huff09, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Ok, I am looking at an 80-200/2.8 to add to my collection. KEH has both the D version as well as the AF-S. Both are $751. However, the AF-S version is rated Bargain and the D version is Excellent.

Obviously there will be differences in the condition of the two. I have never bought from KEH but have heard repeatedly that they are very conservative with their ratings.

My question is do I buy the D or AF-S. Is the AF-S an improved enough version to risk/warrant going with a Bargain rating?

If you have owned one, or both, please throw your 2ยข at me.

Thanks.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi chris-

one thing to consider is that the AF-S lens has the motor built into the lens. if the condition is worse, you may have trouble with the motor later on. i

ricky

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    You can always send it back if you're not happy, the AF-S version is better IMO and can take modern Nikon TCs while you need to use Kenko ones with the AF-D.

4. The -S version is faster. That might mean a lot to you, depending on your shooting style. If you're going to shoot fast-action subjects, you'll need the AF-S drive. But, if you're shooting fast action, and need glass to shoot it, I'd recommend waiting on an AF-S lens in excellent condition. The cost to repair a faulty AF-S motor could easily exceed the cost of buying a lens that didn't need the repair. Of course this is just my opinion...I could be wrong.

5. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I'd love info on this as well. Has anyone bought a "Bargain" lens from KEH before? Was it still usable (clean glass, etc.).

6. As it turns out, I bought a BGN 80-200/f2.8 AFS from KEH recently... It is a LOT faster than the 80-200 AFD, even on a D2-series body, and it's really no contest on a slower body like my D100. Having said that, there's little difference in the optics. If your use tends to landscapes, save yourself some money and get the AFD. If your usage is sports, the AFS is indeed that much better.

A BGN lens at KEH won't have any marks on the glass, although sometimes it has dust on the outside - trivial to clean up. Usually there is some condition on the outside that warrants less than excellent marks. For example, on my 80-200, there are scuff marks all over the tripod collar, and there are a couple of small ones on the lens barrel too. Neither has any impact on usability.

(I've also bought a number of other lenses from KEH, both EX and BGN. The EX ones are essentially indistinguishable from new. BGN ones are obviously used, but they are always in full working order.)

7. I vote AF-s after seeing what this lens is capable of with the TC14e.

Not sure if this is true, but i've also heard that tha AF-s has better image quality than the Af-d, BUT that might just be people trying to justify spending the extra money on the Af-s.

8. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I vote for the AFS also, just make sure the glass is clean.
    As far as a repair, I sent my 17-35 in for a general cleaning and squeeking motor. They replaced the motor and did some other stuff. It was under $300, I don't remember the exact amount, but it wasn't too bad considering the cost of a new lens.

9. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Thank you to everyone...very helpful input from each of you. I think I am going to go with the AF-S although I may wait until a higher grade one shows up again and spend the extra cash.

Thanks again for all your help.

10. The AF-S is the better lens, closer focus, better optical design, and the AF-S motor. I find KEH to be very conservative in their grading. My 300/2.8 looked rarely used when I got it from them and it was rated as a Bargin. They will send pictures and hold a lens for a few days while you decide if you just ask.

11. I own the 80-200 AF-D version. Speed of focusing has never been a problem with mine vs. an AFS version. The picture below from this last weekend is of a drag bike that runs 6 second 1/4 miles in the 205 MPH range. I also shot this event with a 28-70 AFS on my other body, the keeper ratio was no higher with the "Beast"

12. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I have to agree with Doug...sure the AF-S lens is going to focus faster...but if you know what you are doing and use the focus limiter switch on the AF-D version you can make the AF-D focus pretty quickly as well.