1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AF settings with Sigma 120-300

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by PLPhoto, Sep 24, 2008.

1. I love this lens, but I can't say it's as consistent as my AF-S lenses when shooting sports.

Those that use this lens, what are your AF settings when shooting sports?

I use a D200, "C" AF, 5fps and Single Area focus.

2. That's what I'd use Phil...and you're sticking to the center focus rectangle, right?

3. Almost always the center Chris.

I'd love to shoot with you sometime soon and compare lenses. I just got the lens back from the shop, but still find it back focuses on a lot of my images.

4. I sometimes wonder if mine is backfocusing a bit. I did a little test outside today on some shingles. First took a shot with AF on on a certain shingle, then with manual focus. It seemed that on a static subject the AF is as good as fine tuning with manual focus.

However, it does seem that with moving subjects the lens can hunt a bit. Often times my sports shots don't have what I thought I was focusing on in focus. Other times the lens is spot on. I guess this is the price you pay for not paying more $$$ for a Nikon prime.

I use the exact same settings when shooting sports.

5. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Do you use 7 or 11 point? I found that the larger 7 point give me more keepers...

6. Nate, this is EXACTLY my problem and I've also come to that conclusion. This is why I'm looking for a Nikon 300mm 2.8 af-s II.

They say it's infamous for back focusing and that after a quick fix at Sigma all is well, but I haven't found this to be true.

I have a love/hate relationship with the lens, but only with sports. It's too bad because it's so dang sharp.

7. I use the 7.

8. happy to try and do that Phil....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.