AF speed for Nikon 85mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Steinar, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Anybody using the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 for serious sports-shooting ? (not AF-
    S, but f. 1.4 and the last is of course an advantage to get good shutterspeed)

----

How is the AF- speed comparing to the 70-200 VR ? (AF-S and f/2.8)

------

Bjørn Rørslett about the 85mm f/1.4: "....and its AF action is very fast on the F5 or D1/D2 models"

But another review I read said, that it was not fast.

The camera will - hopefully - be the D700.

2. It's not an AF-S lens, but it is internally focusing and it is f/1.4, so that speeds it up a little bit.

I never feel it is slowing me down, but then again I am using it mostly for portraits, not sport.

3. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you.

But anybody,

- who can compare it to the 70-200VRs AF-speed ? a lens I have, and

- anybody using it for serious sports ?

4. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    The thing is:

By selling the 70-200VR I can afford to buy what I want for my coming D700:

- the Nikon 17-35 and/or the Zeiss 35mm f/2.0

- the 85mm f/1.4

but I shoot my sons soccer/football, and the 70-200VR is good - at the same time we can expect a new 70-200VRII later, that maybe suits the FX better.

5. I'd suggest you repost this inquiry on the Sports forum, where the serious sports shooters hang out. But be more precise and specify which sports.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Yes, of course, thank you.

7. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    I'm new here but it seems like you might get away with it but just prefocus..Coming from a canon 1d mark III and there 85 f/1.2 MK II..This 85 is fast but can be tricky and getting use to for action.. Maybe the 85 f/1.8 would be better..

8. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you revoke, but I only think it is tricky/challenging because of the thin DOF, when you use f. 1.4, where I would use it for portraits, and I would use it lower for the action but it would give quick shutterespeeds because it is a 1.4 lens.

But: I forgot, that on a FX a 85mm is not long enough for soccer and there is no doubt, that the 70-200 is way better (after "talking" with the sports guys at the other thread).

Welcome to Nikon and welcome to the Cafe.

9. I just read the sports guys comments. They were very knowledgeable and helpful. It's neat that we can slide over to topic specific Cafe forum and tap into such expertise.

If your problem with the 70-200 has been slow shutter speeds at your football matches, your problem may be solved by the d700, with its high iso abilities. I think it would be better to wait until you've had a chance to work with the FX body before addressing your lens needs, since the reach of your lenses will be effected.

10. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Yes it is very neat, that we can go to another topic. Thanks again for the advice.

---

Yes, I forgot the factor, that for soccer I need more than 85mm can give on a FX, when my son is playing on grass, but the issue was, that I had a very "short" chance to get good prices (not according to USA, but according to Denmark) for some new lenses for my coming D700 (17-35, Zeiss 35 f/2.0 and 85mm f/1.4 - there was a sale with few ex.), and I could sell my 70-200 at the same time, so I was in a bit hurry, so therefore I asked.

11. For sports photos (esp. soccer) I always enjoyed the versatility and the reach of the 70-200mm. AF-S is also faster in focussing. On my D200 I sometimes found the 1.4 85mm hunting, on my D2x it is definitely faster focussing, but on both the AF-S of the 70-200 beats the 85mm hands down.

Good luck with your decision.:wink:

12. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you Walter, I am now sure, that it have to be the 70-200 VR - or the 70-200VRII in spe.

13. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    AF-S doesn't really improve focus speed by much. Fast telephoto lenses focus fast by using internal focusing and only having to move a small and light element. The Canon 85/1.2 is AF-S too, but it focuses slow because it has to move the entire lens assembly. The Nikkor 85/1.4 is screw-drive but focuses much faster due to internal focus. Fast focusing often sacrifices optical quality. Nikon made the focus element on the 70-200VR quite small to speed up focus, and in turn its performance on FX does not quite match up to pro standards.

So an AF-S update to a fast Nikkor prime doesn't really excite me. I'm much more excited by improved optics and VR. The 35/1.4 AIS badly needs an update, as it does not even have autofocus.

14. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Codt, thank you, will that say, that the 70-200VR have slower focus on FX, than on DX ?

15. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    No focus speed will be the same on FX, but the corners won't be as sharp as on DX.

16. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I misunderstand you - I know about the corner issue on FX.

17. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    Thanks..And I too think it is too short for sports..