AF speed in 80-200 f/2.8 pull push models

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Leo Horta, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Well, I found a mint used 80-200 AF-D in Brazil and I would like to know if has a considering AF speed improvement between 80-200 2.8 AF pull-push to 80-200 AF-D pull-push (mkII model)?
    Thanks to all!

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

all push/pull lenses are kinda slow in the focus dept...but they're certainly not lacking for IQ ...;-)))

3. As Nute says, they are not fast focusing...... but my old copy is great. I shoot it on my D80 and focus is pretty slow, but by using the limiter switch you can help improve things a little. It might focus a bit faster on your D300

4. Nute and David. as my 20-210 4-5.6 "D" is a twice fast than the older "non-D" version I think the 80-200 AF-D could be faster than the first version... :confused:

Thanks!

5. the speed of AF on an AF-D lens is heavily determined by the body it's shot on, it will focus a lot faster on a D3 than say a D80.

Mainly due to the difference in the bodies AF Motor

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

what Phil said too ..my old push/pull is much faster on my d200 than it is on my d50..and with a little practice it's not really that big of a deal ...if it's a good lens and a good deal u got nothing to lose....;-)

7. I have only used mine on a D300 and a D700, and for me it focuses fast enough. I am a toddler chaser though, not a sports shooter.

8. Yes, maybe it could be fast enough for portrait... nuteshack, this lens is a good deal for it optical quality.. Thanks!!!