Affordable batteries for the SU800

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 2, 2007.

1. About the only shortcoming of the su800 is its voracious appetite for batteries. The CR123A is very pricey if you buy it at retail. I've paid as much as $10 for one battery at Safeway.

I just found a great deal at Thomas Distributing, which is a reputable etailer. They sell packages of 2 Sanyo CR123A batteries for $3.67... and even discount the price to $3.47 for orders of 3 or more packages.

The savings get eaten up by shipping costs if you only order 1 package - $3.67 for 2 batteries and $6.38 for shipping, which comes out to $5.02 per battery :frown:.

Fortunately, Lithium ion batteries have very long shelf lives, so there's no reason not to buy in quantity and stockpile them. It's $3.47 per package for 3 packages (6 batteries), and the shipping only increasesto $6.61, which comes out to $2.83 per battery :biggrin:.

Here's the link.

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...P_id=&osCsid=c940a6392739eb585f2637c6b91325a3

2. Your right Frank, Thomas is a good place to buy them. I have also found that WalMart has a pretty good price on them and there is no shipping.

3. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
  4. How does their after tax price compare to the $2.83 delivered price from Thomas?

5. shepx2

shepx2

Oct 4, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I second batterystation.com
    I just recently got an SU-800, but I had a bunch of CR123's because of a Streamlight flashlight I have that uses them. When I bough them, I believe it came out to be about $1.25 a battery as well.

6. Frank I just bought the Su800. What kind of battery life should I be expecting. I happen to have 4 or 5 battery lying around. I bought two new ones then discovered an old stash in the wood shop. I had figured that it must not eat batteries too hard or Nikon would have used a more standard battery, or a rechargable unit. Hmmmm well at least I have few lying around.

7. I'm guessing 350-450 shots per battery... enough for one event.

8. Thanks Frank, throwing an extra in bag now. I have shoot tomorrow.

9. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Frank, have you looked at the rechareables that Thomas sells?

10. I really don't want to have another charging system, but if I find I'm burning through the inventory of cr123a, I'll re-evaluate.

11. stephen99

stephen99

Nov 22, 2006
    Holland, Ohio
    I like to buy them 20 at a time via eBay. Mainly for a couple of flashlights I own but also now for SU-800. Comes out to about $1.25 per battery.

I'd like to thank Uncle Frank for his informative posts. It was based on his recommendations that I bought the SU-800. A wonderful piece of equipment. Sure it has some limitations but the ability to control several remote strobes from the camera position is priceless.

12. Thomas beat them, as I remember the price is at the low end of $3.00 +

13. Here's a question about the battery designation; I have a spare duracell battery which has in large type "123 3 Volt Lithium Battery" on it - I think it was used in a digital p/s that I sold off. It's identical in shape and size as the CR123A, but it does have in tiny print the designation CR17345 on it as well. Anyone know if these are one in the same, or do I have a different type of battery with this duracell?

Sean

14. stephen99

stephen99

Nov 22, 2006
    Holland, Ohio
    Sean,

I did a quick search on the net for a battery cross reference and as near as I can tell the CR17345 designation is equivalent to a CR-123.

15. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I bought those rechargeable batteries and 2-battery charger from Thomas. They worked great, and held a charge similar to the lithium non-rechargeable batteries. I sold them to a Cafe member after I sold the corresponding flash (SB-30).

16. I googled your question, and it led to a post on the Nikonian
    site: http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dc...unt&om=15861&forum=DCForumID7&viewmode=all#11

Since the stated voltage on your battery is 3.0, it shoud be safe to use. I'd check it with a voltmeter first, though.

17. Thank you both for doing that leg work. I had googled this a bit and hadn't found those links yet so I appreciate it.

FWIW, the 123 reads 3.1 volts, and the CR123A reads 2.9 volts.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007
  18. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Your expensive CR 123 battery days are over! My Fuji S2 was one of those dreadfull designs that employed both AAs and CR123s. I used to buy disposables until I found these guys. They claimed theirs were different from standard 123 rechargeables and were designed for camera use. There's detailed voltage info in the link, maybe one of you more knowledgeable than me could verify if these would work.

I use them in the S2 and they're fine. I have no doubt that they'd work in an SU 800. 4 pieces and a charger with both wall and auto charge cables, $25.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1641

19. husawis

husawis Guest

I have been using Delkin E-film rechargeables for well over a year now. I could not be more pleased with the performance of the batteries. The charger is a different story. As I have said before the charger is VERY slow. I will not go back to non-rechargeables.

I purchased mine from Thomas as well.