1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Kaiser, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  2. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

What an exceptional group of images! You do us an honor to post here. If you don't mind this frivilous comment, the image you've chosen to display here is perhaps the weakest of the group (and its wonderful really). When I went to your site I was literally overwhelmed.

Love the way you bring a strong light source into the frame. Love the bokeh you produce with PEOPLE! These images are very moving. These are without a doubt the finest images I've seen posted here in quite some time.

What is the multiple light source in the above pic btw?

3. Thanks for your comments - these are candles in a shrine in Bamiyan.

4. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Are you making it as professional? Is Nat'l Geo familiar with you? They should be. I'd send them a CD and link to your URL.

5. Let's put it that way - I am not making a living with my photos. I was actually there with Steve McCurry from NG who knows the place really well.

6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Quality is so easy to recognize. Congratulations on owning such a fine eye. Your images are touching, inciteful, beautiful and immediate.

More story please! How did you get so many to pose so easily for you, how did you put them at ease? For some unexplained reason, I have always felt an affinity for the Afghan people, ever since they fought off the Soviets with muskets and pitchforks. Your series paints a very favorable and optomistic view of a country most of us only know as a GW Bush target. You've put a human face on a supposed enemy.

7. The posing is not difficult because most of them love to be photographed! :smile: The only thing you have to be VERY conscious about is that you should not take photos of women!! I got kicked out of a village once because I shot a small cow being milked by a woman (she was hidden behind the cow even).

There are quite a few distinct tribes in Afghanistan and most of the problems that we hear about are in the south and east of the country. The rest of the country is really just trying to get on with their lives and support their families. It's a beautiful country full of very strong and independent people and it's such a shame that they had to live through wars for the last 25 years almost.

I certainly plan to go back and explore more of it in the future.

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks for the chat and imagery Christian. Your work certainly portrays a strong and independent people. I'll look forward to future posts here...and in NG! :wink:

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow!! Christian! Afghanistan. We're, like, bombing and stuff there, right. How does one go to Afghanistan? Where do you stay? It seems that Americans and English folks might not be very popular there now, or no? Since taking pictures of women is a no-no, how did you accomplish it? Your pictures? Wooow. I can't even use words to describe them. Wow.

Thanks for posting this here. You've bumped us up a notch with this world class - and cutting edge photojournalism.

10. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool: I've got to agree that you have some very strong portraits there. Were you there as back-up for your friend? Very nice to have another look at other cultures. Thanks for posting. www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

11. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    I agree with the other posters about the quality of your work, Christian. There are world class images in there! Can I suggest one thing that would make these more complete? This culture is so different from what we know and what we expect to see. These pictures raise so many questions that you could probably answer.

What were you doing there and how did you get such access (including photographing soldiers). What are these people doing with their lives (and in the pictures)?

Again, even if you can't give use a narrative, thanks for the great pix.

DAB

12. What a pleasure it was to look at your photos of these Afghan people!!! Thanks for sharing these with us!

13. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Christian, thank you for sharing your pictures with us. They are some of the best I've seen.

14. As the others have said, these are remarkable. I just finished reading The Kite Runner and these photos help to illustrate the what characters and setting might look like. It's a shame what's happened to their country (and not just because of President Bush). Thanks for sharing them.

15. Thanks for the comments - I will try to put something together but I am at the moment still in transit through India.

16. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    Fascinating shots. Arresting composition and skillful use of light. Such different cultures are stimulating aren't they?! Thanks!

17. I really liked these shots, Christian. Great work.

18. Quite simply superb work. I've only just taken a cursory view of the images and will definitely revisit for a more prolonged tour. Thank you for these.

19. Wonderful gallery. Very interesting and enjoyable.

20. WOW! I can't help but feel like I was gazing a National Geographic! Christian, I don't know how else to put it - your photos of these special people just spoke volumes! You caught emotion, sadness, dunno what else I can say! I think you should consider sending some of these to a magazine! Awsome job!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.