Africa Threads on DPRevie

Hi Jay,

Absolutely right. There are few images I would describe as "thrilling"....but these certainly qualify. My son and I were completely enthralled when looking at them.

Best wishes,

David

This Italian guy has been posting Africa pics since two years on a regular basis and they were always stunning. He's a perfect example of the "Know-your-equipment" postulate.

Bob the Spiderman said:
These are getting close to the MASTER. Franz Lanting.

Bob F.

I don't want to degrade Alex (he is phantastic), but I think Frans Lanting still plays in a different league. It is not the technical quality that makes the difference but the contents and at what circumstances the pics are shot - you remember this pic of the Cobra stabbing out of the water in the forests of Borneo :Shocked: ?

Yes, and his pictures in Botswana that won the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award way back in the 80s/90s. Not sure when.

I agree Frantz is just in a class of his own, but one or two of these are getting close. Otherwise anybody at the Mara crossing during the mass migration that does not get good pictures should be shot or pay for me to go next time.

BW. Bob F.

I first came across Alex's pics on Friday night and the quality of the images is mind-blowing. The thing that really pleased me, made me envious, showed me what it can do and inspired me to lift my game was that he uses the D100.

Absolute proof that it really is the photographer not the equipment.

Neil

Absolute proof that it really is the photographer not the equipment.

Never a truer word was spoken. However people will persist is the idiotic notation that 'The Latest is the Greatest.' Then then wonder why their photography is not greatly improved when they have spent out all that money.

Bob F.

Stunning photos. He uses wide open apertures for most of his animal shots, good effect. Very sharp, crisp pics. Looks like he waits quite a while for the perfect light in his landscapes.... All that with a plain ol' D100.... goes to show ya what one can do!

TOLady said:
Stunning photos. He uses wide open apertures for most of his animal shots, good effect. Very sharp, crisp pics. Looks like he waits quite a while for the perfect light in his landscapes.... All that with a plain ol' D100.... goes to show ya what one can do!
Ain't that the truth. Stunning work.

Alex has done some amazing work in his Africa trip pictures. I have been chatting with him for a few days about them. I wish that I could effectively translate Itallian as he has offered me an article for my site that would have to be translated to English.

-JM

They are certainly awe inspiring pictures. Particularly like the images of the wilderbeast - almost B&W - captures all the energy of a herd on the move, especially when they get to the river. Ahh the river, smiling crocodile....

Hats off to the man - he definitely knows his stuff.

Latest threads

Top Bottom